none
These forums are the clumsiest thing I've seen in a while

Question

• Its near impossible for a developer to find anything by browsing.

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:44 PM forums feedback (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:00 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your feedback chupper.  Moving this to the forums feedback forum.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Just a question, but have you actually tried utilizing the keyword search bars on these forums?  I've had decent success finding items that i am looking for utilizing the search bars.
    Thomas
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Unfortunately, yes, I've done that.

How is it MS says "developers developers developers!" and then they make it more difficult for actual developers to find anything?

Look at this, it's the forums list at technet.microsoft.com (note it starts with social.technet) And note, it's pretty much worthless to developers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/

Now, the following is what you're really after, but the social.technet* url provides no knowledge of it

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windevgeneral,windevui,windevavg,windevsearch,windevsensorandtouch,windevnetworking,windevdiagnostics,windevother

Is it true that MS search technology can't handle both?

Google has a paradigm.  "Don't sort, search" MS could learn alot from this.

If you search for "platform sdk" at technet, the first result should be a link to the platform sdk, not people talking about it in "resources for it professionals"

Go to google and search for platform sdk, it will give you better ms results than ms gives you.

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:08 PM
  • TechNet is targeted to the itpro community, not developers. MSDN is the developer space. What SDK are you looking for?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:15 PM
  • TechNet is targeted to the itpro community, not developers. MSDN is the developer space. What SDK are you looking for?
    Community Forums Program Manager

I believe chupper was providing an example situation, Brent.

However, Brent has a point: TechNet is for IT Professionals, not developers.  SDK information would likely fall under MSDN's purview (so as such, you were looking at the TechNet forums/search where you should have been looking at the MSDN forums/search).  All of my searches from MSDN for developer information has worked and been 98% asccurate, with the 2% innacurate being comprised of issues which don't yet have an article or post relating to them on the forums.

Thomas
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:42 PM