connecting a Mac with OS X to Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone, I'm trying to connect my girlfiend's powerbook (running OS X) to the Windows Home Server for the purpose of sharing files and the printer. I tried connecting to the server with the ip address and also with the server name and get no response. I tried adding other network and printing services in the managment console and it prompts me for the Windows Server 2003 disc, which I obviously don't have. Is there any way to work around this so I can connect her laptop to the server for printer and file access? Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:48 AM

Answers

• You shouldn't have to do anything particularly special for file access. WHS shares use SMB, so your girlfiend's (I'm picturing horns and a tail, and, umm, oh, nevermind... Smile ) powerbook should be able to access the shares. I think you have the other security considerations to deal with, too; the user name and password have to match for seamless access to shares.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:13 AM
  • try smb://"yourservername"/share

it will prompt for a user name and password just use one of the users that you have setup.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:34 AM

All replies

• You shouldn't have to do anything particularly special for file access. WHS shares use SMB, so your girlfiend's (I'm picturing horns and a tail, and, umm, oh, nevermind... Smile ) powerbook should be able to access the shares. I think you have the other security considerations to deal with, too; the user name and password have to match for seamless access to shares.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:13 AM
  • try smb://"yourservername"/share

it will prompt for a user name and password just use one of the users that you have setup.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:34 AM
  •  

Thanks man, that worked. I guess it was as simple as specifying the share. Another thing I'm having trouble with is sharing my hp printer to her mac. I tried typing the exactl share path of the printer and I just get the error 43 code on the mac, I looked it up and none of the explanations really apply to this situation since I can already connect to the server with the mac. I have no trouble browsing other files/folders , I just can't see the printer. Any ideas?
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:39 AM
  • Take a look at this page over at Apple. I bet you'll find a solution there.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:21 PM
  • The file sharing is easly under the network icon in the finder windows (I use a iBook myself, all my music is in the music folder).  I go to my server, select it, and when I log on, I mount the music folder as a network drive.  This works with any other folders you have access to as well. 
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:55 PM