Drive vanished over night! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Built a WHS2011 box from a HP Proliant ML110 G6 server about 2 weeks ago.  Installed 2x new 1TB Western Digital drives, one for folders and one for server backup, and used the existing 250GB drive for the OS.

Everything was fine until last night!  At about midnight it was all ok, and at some point before 4am (nightly backup time) the drive that has all the folders on (inc client backups) disappeared; so all the backups failed and the server is reporting a number of errors!

2 critical alerts: Router not configured (thats always there) and One or more services not running - the services listed are Windows Defender and Windows Update.
    3 warnings; Computer Monitoring Error, Dynamic DNS info can not be updated and One or more selected items were not included in the Server Backup

The drive didn't show up in the list of harddrives in the dashboard tab, I rebooted the box and now it shows the drive but there are a lot of "unknowns" and obviously the folder shares haven't returned!

What is going on?  Is WHS2011 buggy when it comes to drive management? Should I go back to WHSv1 which worked flawlessly for years!!!!!!

Annoyed!

John

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:24 AM

All replies

• No, WHS2011 is not buggy in that respect. Sounds like some form of hardware issue to me.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Have you tried simply rebooting the server? But I tend to agree with Phil that it may be a hardware issue, or possibly driver related. Are there drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 available for your hardware? If so, use those.

Note: the router error you should be able to get rid of by going back through the configuration wizard and choosing to set your router up manaully (which you've presumably already done).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:07 PM