locked
both reporting services and UI SQL errors in 2011 RRS feed

  • Question

    • You click on the Activities sub area (or the calendar) and you get a Generic SQL Error.  But other areas work fine.  You can see the Activities in related subgrids AND you can query for them from Advanced Find, but if you try to mark one as complete you get the SQL Error.
    • The Workplace area starts with the SQL Error, but renders once you click through the dialog.
    • Some reports run and others fail to the SQL Error.  But it's not intermittent.  The ones that work work and the ones that don't don't.
    • All I can find in the event logs is MSCRMplatform error of Generic SQL Error and nothing thrown from the SQL Server which is on the same "box" (VM.)
    • Nothing happened.  Users say problems began on 5/15, but nobody knows of any particular event that coincided.
    • Problems are the same via Outlook Client as when browsing.
    • SQL Server has drive space -- 23GB available should be able to absorb any individual transaction.
    • I didn't see any blocking on the SQL Server.

    I can't even guess where to start looking for this problem.  (RU 14 at start of problems has been patched to RU 16 since.)

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:03 PM

Answers

  • We eventually generated an error “Invalid column name 'IsMapiPrivate'”.  Found a link directing us to ActivityPointerBase table where we found that the column had been renamed to IsMapiPrivate_wrong.  Same thing with another column name.  Can't say how that happened, but it's possible that UR 16 is involved.  Also, there was a Microsoft support engineer in there working on reporting services and we all know what cowboys they are.  Anyway, restoring the original names eliminated all generic sql errors.
    • Marked as answer by mardukes Friday, May 30, 2014 4:32 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 4:32 PM

All replies

  • Can you post here more detail error.Generic sql error means nothing:)When you get generic sql error, You can find more information about your error in trace folder.
    Friday, May 23, 2014 10:33 AM
  • We eventually generated an error “Invalid column name 'IsMapiPrivate'”.  Found a link directing us to ActivityPointerBase table where we found that the column had been renamed to IsMapiPrivate_wrong.  Same thing with another column name.  Can't say how that happened, but it's possible that UR 16 is involved.  Also, there was a Microsoft support engineer in there working on reporting services and we all know what cowboys they are.  Anyway, restoring the original names eliminated all generic sql errors.
    • Marked as answer by mardukes Friday, May 30, 2014 4:32 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 4:32 PM