WHS disks configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I have my WHS up and running without problems. Since I started ripping movies to WHS, the space available is shrinking. I'm thinking of 2 scenarios. First one is changing disk configuration and second is adding a new drive to the pool.

Here is my current disk configuration:

1- System disk is 500 Go SATA
    2- 500+500 SATA +250 IDE in pool.

Since the system disk is only 20% full, I'm thinking of this first scenario:

1- System disk 250 Go IDE
    2- 500+500+500 SATA in pool.

This scenario doesn't involve spending money but will improve the storage capacity in pool. The downside is the need to do a server reinstall.

The second scenario is buying another 500 Go SATA and adding it to the pool to get:

1- System disk 500 Go SATA
    2- 500+500+500 SATA + 250 IDE in pool.

What do you think, first, second or what would you suggest?

Since with PP1, it doesn't really matter to have the bigger HDD as system disk, does it?.

Thanks,

Klode
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Add a new drive to the pool. If you swap your system disk for another disk, you'll need to move a lot of data around. Then you'll have to perform a server reinstallation. Then you'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins, etc. Compared to adding a drive, it's a pain in the butt.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 19, 2008 6:17 PM

All replies

• Add a new drive to the pool. If you swap your system disk for another disk, you'll need to move a lot of data around. Then you'll have to perform a server reinstallation. Then you'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins, etc. Compared to adding a drive, it's a pain in the butt.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Thank you for your answer Ken. Yes, that's what I think too. So my first scenario would make sense only if my WHS is screwed up, and need to reinstall anyway. 

The other issue I have is I only have 1 SATA port left. Is it true that if I put in an IDE system drive, my WHS will be slower? Somebody else suggested to install only SATA drives. Use of IDE drive is ok for backup though, since it is not in the pool. What do you think?

Thanks,

Klode

Friday, December 19, 2008 7:00 PM
  • No, it's not true. Or not measurably so. It's true that IDE is slower than SATA, but there are enough systems that will all introduce their own delays and latencies that you will not, in the real world, notice a difference.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:04 PM
  • The reason I asked is like I said in my previous post I only have 1 SATA port left. I was looking to buy an 500 Go IDE drive (WD5000AAKB) which has 16 Mo buffer same as WD5000AAKS. Since I still have an IDE port to add 2 more drives, I tought that could be a solution. But, since I got advised that IDE is slower than SATA, I changed my mind on that. If you say I won't see much difference, I still can go and buy the IDE hard drive.

Thanks,

Klode
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:40 PM
  • I'll assume you have a home built solution considering you're using an IDE drive in the first place.

I'm confused, why don't you want to use the last SATA port?  If you run out of SATA ports you can always buy an additional controller for not much money (4xsata PCI ~$19).

Reason being, most drives using the IDE interface are from older drive generations.  (case in point, there are no .11 seagate IDE drives).

If you're ripping DVDs an additional 500gb will run out soon as well.  If I were you I'd go ahead and buy a 1tb sata drive.  Compared to the 500gb IDE drives at $75 - a 1tb SATA drive is close to $100 (there are no IDE 1tb drives as far as I can tell).

Friday, December 19, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Chris H said:

I'll assume you have a home built solution considering you're using an IDE drive in the first place.

If you take a look at my 1st post, my IDE drive is not my system disk but in the pool. To clear your confusion, why not using my IDE controler instead spending money for SATA controler, since I can get 500 Go. IDE drive for about the same price of a SATA one. And for the TB drive, I can't find them under 150.$ in my area. I can find them cheaper but I have to pay for shipping. I can get the WD5000AAKB for about 79.$ which has 16 Mo buffer and it's not old technology.

I'll consider your third paragraph since I'm not really in a hurry to buy the drive. The TB drive can get cheaper in the next few weeks or even on the boxing day. I have to check this out. Thanks for your help.

Klode

Friday, December 19, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Don't forget to look at Amazon. Today they have the 1TB Seagate for $110 and the Western Digital for $101. Plus shipping.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Klode said:

Chris H said:

I'll assume you have a home built solution considering you're using an IDE drive in the first place.

If you take a look at my 1st post, my IDE drive is not my system disk but in the pool. To clear your confusion, why not using my IDE controler instead spending money for SATA controler, since I can get 500 Go. IDE drive for about the same price of a SATA one. And for the TB drive, I can't find them under 150.$ in my area. I can find them cheaper but I have to pay for shipping. I can get the WD5000AAKB for about 79.$ which has 16 Mo buffer and it's not old technology.

I'll consider your third paragraph since I'm not really in a hurry to buy the drive. The TB drive can get cheaper in the next few weeks or even on the boxing day. I have to check this out. Thanks for your help.

Klode

I didn't say you were using your IDE drive as your system drive. :)  The reason to know if you're using a home built solution is that you'd be more likely to have PCI slots that you could put in additional controller cards (either IDE or SATA) if needed.

I also didn't mean to be insulting either, if you felt it was then I apologize.

I don't think anything is wrong with using your open IDE slots.  I only stated some of the only reasons I could think of for not using an IDE drive. :)
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:01 PM
  • I apologize too, I tought you were saying the IDE was the system drive. OK, we have confusion here!!!

Well, I take all commentaries in consideration here. That help me make my decision. I really don't want to do something and then saying I should have... Your commentary is really helpfull. Sometimes, it's hard to think about everything.

Klode
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Bobsie said:

Don't forget to look at Amazon. Today they have the 1TB Seagate for $110 and the Western Digital for $101. Plus shipping.

I believe you're talking about Amazon.com. At amazon.ca (in Canada) it's 203.$ CAN + free shipping. Our Canadian $ is now going down the hill...

Klode

Friday, December 19, 2008 9:31 PM