Server Reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• So following my major issues with reinstalling the connector software or trying to....

I now have no choice but to perform a server reinstallation (only had WHS 2011 since it came out)

Now I have a 2TB C/D drive

A 2TB E drive

A 2TB BACKUP DRIVE (with no backups on becuase of dashboard/server problems)

SO I have started to manually move the data from my D over to a client with some free space, the question is if I perform a server installation/reinstallation will it see E and the backup and NOT format them/lose my data

Or am I best unplugging them and doing the install and then adding them after the reinstall?

Thanks

• Edited by Tiberium Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:40 PM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:38 PM

All replies

• Re-installation should only format your first disk but there is no harm leaving the others disconnected. This will create all your shares on the D: drive but it is easy to move it around. Try a variation on this:

• In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
    • Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
    • Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
    • Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
    • Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:17 PM