Poor start up performance with Live Mesh while running anti-virus software? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

We have received some bug submissions from people reporting that they are seeing poor Live Mesh performance when they first start up their computers and sign in to Live Mesh while their anti-virus software is running.  We would like to know how widespread this issue might be, so we have a few questions for the members of our forum community.

1. Anyone running both Live Mesh and anti-virus software at start up, are you seeing poor Live Mesh performance?
    2. If so, (a) how many folders are you sharing, (b) approximately how many files are in each folder, and (c) about how often are the files updated/changed?

If you have been noticing something like this, or are willing to test it out, and can let us know about it here, the team would very much appreciate it.

Thank you, all of you, for helping us test Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008, loads on startup but I am not seeing any problems.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Ben - Live Mesh said:

Hello everyone,

We have received some bug submissions from people reporting that they are seeing poor Live Mesh performance when they first start up their computers and sign in to Live Mesh while their anti-virus software is running. 

If you have been noticing something like this, or are willing to test it out, and can let us know about it here, the team would very much appreciate it.

Can you describe the test scenario you'd like recreated? I'm not noticing any particular problems, but I must admit that I do not restart my machine a lot. What sort of "poor performance" are you talking about - on the PC as a whole, or in Live Mesh sync progress, or ???
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Hi,

We're interested in whether or not you're seeing poor performance on your PC as a whole after a reboot, with Live Mesh and anti-virus software both running.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I don't believe I am seeing any performance issues on any of my client machines running Vista or XP and using OneCare or Avast as the security software.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Ben - Live Mesh said:

Hi,

We're interested in whether or not you're seeing poor performance on your PC as a whole after a reboot, with Live Mesh and anti-virus software both running.

Interesting ... anecdotally, I have noticed that my daily automatic full-system virus scan (AVG 7.x) is taking a lot longer. And overall, my system "seems" slower, but the Task Manager CPU usage doesn't show anything being a culprit. And it may simply be user impatience - I use a lot faster systems at work, so I may be "projecting" to my system at home. But I just got a new quad-core box delivered yesterday, and I'll have it up and running over the weekend, so I'll be putting Live Mesh on that.

Is there some sort of performance monitor that could be run, with and without Live Mesh, to get some sort of quantitative baseline? Or is it really more of a "feel" thing?

As a test, I'll turn off Live Mesh and reboot my machine tonight before I go to bed, and then see whether my virus scan has completed when I get up.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:47 PM
  • In my completely unscientific experiment with a sample of 1 last night, my machine did not seem to run any faster with Live Mesh disabled than with it active. That's a Windows XP SP3 box with gobs of stuff on it, and 4 shared Live Mesh folders (but remember, Live Mesh wasn't active).
    Friday, May 30, 2008 4:26 PM
  • My work laptop slows right down on bootup with mesh/AVG antivirus running. There is lots of disk thrashing for at least 10 minutes before it seems to calm down enough to start running anything. Yesterday I put this down to foldershare and mesh being active together, but disabled foldershare yesterday on the work laptop so it's not that. Admittedly it's not a powerful PC (XP SP2, 1.5GHz celeron and 448MB total RAM). Today I had to just leave it for a while as it didn't bring the normal startup items (google sidebar) until at least 10 mins after bootup, whereas they normally load after only a couple of minutes. Once it settles down I don't notice much slowdown and there's no disk thrashing at the moment.
    Edit: When I checked task manager this morning while the thrashing was going on there didn't seem to be any CPU spikes, but I'll have a better check tomorrow when I boot up again now that I know there might be a problem.
    • Edited by dmeredith Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:25 PM Added info
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Adding to my previous post - 7 folders synced using the mesh, of which 6 only have half a dozen files in but the other folder has 2.21GB and 6139 files. Only a few of these files are updated/changed each day.
    I'll try to get a bit more of a handle on the problem tomorrow when I boot up.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Booted up this morning and everything was back to normal - typical! However I had synced both PCs last night from home so that might be why. I rebooted again later on and there was lots of disk thrashing again, but not as bad (nothing to sync this time). During this time moe.exe took about 50MB of RAM and up to about 16% of processor usage (even with lots of spare cpu cycles the system ground to a halt because of the disk access). Next time I get the disk thrashing I'll try killing the mesh processes to see if it is definitely down to that (hadn't really noticed it before installing mesh, but I wasn't looking for problems so may not have noticed).
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Hi Ben,

A little late - but I have huge performance issues on start up running live mesh and redprotect (a network version of kaspersky)

On this PC I'm only sharing a single folder with 382 files that don't change that often.

Running Vista 32 on a dual core machine with 2gb ram.

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:27 PM
  • jonathan- said:

Hi Ben,

A little late - but I have huge performance issues on start up running live mesh and redprotect (a network version of kaspersky)

On this PC I'm only sharing a single folder with 382 files that don't change that often.

Does the problem go away after a bit, or does the performance issue continue for quite some time? If you disable the virus protection, does that cause the problem to cease?

It may be worth submitting logs and a bug report per the instruction in the announcement at the top of the forum.

-steve

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

jonathan- said:

Hi Ben,

Does the problem go away after a bit, or does the performance issue continue for quite some time? If you disable the virus protection, does that cause the problem to cease?

It may be worth submitting logs and a bug report per the instruction in the announcement at the top of the forum.

-steve

It probably takes about 10-15 minutes for my pc to become usable, unless I kill off the scan process and the management exe's (which is a mission in itself as getting task manager up and into administration mode takes a good 5 minutes - I end up playing solitaire on my WM :))

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:48 PM
  • I see horrible slow performance when booting the computer.

The difference between having live mesh enabled/disabled at startup is at least 2-3 minutes of the computer being absolutely non-responsive.

I am syncing 4969 files in 343 folders for a total of 1.72 GB. I am using AVG Antivirus.

Friday, January 30, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Recently,

McAfee antivirus has been flagging Live Mesh's MOE.exe as a potentially unwanted program, identifying it as Demo-LeakTest.12, and won't stop until I disable one or the other. Any ideas?
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:17 AM
  • agent6176 said:

Recently,

McAfee antivirus has been flagging Live Mesh's MOE.exe as a potentially unwanted program, identifying it as Demo-LeakTest.12, and won't stop until I disable one or the other. Any ideas?

Sounds like a candidate for a separate thread. Start a new thread with the full details of the detection (including Live Mesh versions) and then possibly submit a bug as well.

Cheers,

Oren
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:28 AM
  • agent6176 said:

Recently,

In addition to submitting a bug/logs for Live Mesh, I'd also suggest submitting a report to McAfee regarding a possible false positive, assuming that your copy of moe.exe is not actually infected.

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:17 PM
  • ivar.c said:

I see horrible slow performance when booting the computer.

The difference between having live mesh enabled/disabled at startup is at least 2-3 minutes of the computer being absolutely non-responsive.

I am syncing 4969 files in 343 folders for a total of 1.72 GB. I am using AVG Antivirus.

Please file a bug per the instructions found here:

Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I had similar issues as Dmeredith on my laptop installation.  I run a desktop and laptop, dual booting W7 and Vista on both, with almost the exact same programs and plugins on each system.  W7 is the primary OS on both.  On the desktop, AVG does not appear to cause any performance decrease at all.  On the laptop, it makes Mesh nearly unusable, it thrashes the HDD so badly and stutters so much the sync never seems able to get started, to upload, or to download.

Once AVG on the laptop is disabled, everything runs fine. 

If I leave the laptop alone for awhile after boot, Mesh eventually becomes usable, but still plagued with slowdowns, HDD thrash, and extreme lag when bringing up the system tray options or tabbing between menus on the Mesh notifier.  I tried shutting down specific portions of AVG, email checker, link checker, etc., but nothing seems to help unless it is switched off completely.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

ivar.c said:

I see horrible slow performance when booting the computer.

Please file a bug per the instructions found here:

Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

I would love to but as I stated in another thread: Then you need to fix your log collection program.
    Because it ends without creating the #@$%@$#% log file.

So my suggestions to the brilliant programmers:
    1. FIX THE BUG REPORTING 
    2. FIX THE SLOWNESS
    3. ALLOW USERS TO DISABLE THE $#@%#$^%#$ USELESS MESH BAR IN WINDOWS EXPLORER
    4. ALLOW THE LIVE DESKTOP TO BE MAPPED AS A NETWORK DRIVE IN WINDOWS EXPLORER

AND

STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO PROVIDE A BUG REPORT WITH LOGS WHEN YOUR #$%@$#%#@$ PIECE OF SOFTWARE IS BROKEN AND CANNOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 5:01 AM
  • Logs are not mandatory when it comes to filing a bug report.  I'm having issues with AVG as well on my laptop, so I just turned AVG off to test, and sure enough that's what was causing the trouble.  I haven't tried an alternate antivirus program yet, but Mesh runs fine on both desktops that are running Norton and AVG.  Not sure if that matters.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:32 AM
  • Yes, I have two computers running different AVs and they both go nuts at startup as well as every time mesh synchronizes folders. I'm running McAfee Enterprise 8 in one PC and AVG 8 in the other.  Mesh was slowing down my computer so much that I ended up uninstalling it. I was not sharing any folders.

Incidentally, the high RAM usage was also a concern. Between Moe.exe and MoeMonitroe.exe it added up to 100 MB and my explorer.exe also increased its usage of RAM by about 15MB.

Please guys, fix this. I love your software, but running it feels like dragging an elephant!
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I have avast! and moe running on windows server 2008.

At bootup, moe uses highest of the cpu usage, but this isn't so significant. However, disk read/write is extremely high.

All my files are already sync'ed, so I wonder what it is doing.

After a while, no more of the performance problem. Only at the bootup.

Core2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V.
    230GB HDD with 60GB Free.
    691MB Shared with Sync Settings "When Files are added or modified"

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Well, first of all, you're running on a technically unsupported OS. :-) That said, my guess is that the high CPU at start is due to Live Mesh scanning for changes and the a/v software intercepting all reads of data, causing a bit of a deadlock.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:07 PM
  • I've found that it is extremely slow starting up with anti-virus running. I'm currently running Live Mesh with Windows Live OneCare, but I've also used it with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I have had very poor performance (general PC performance) on my home machine running Vista, Live Mesh, and Norton Antivirus 2009.  Uninstalling Live Mesh fixed the problem.  I'm guessing that the problem lies in the shell extensions that Live Mesh registers -- I had tried removing moe.exe from my startups, but that had no effect.

Symptoms:
    Tons of disk activity. 
    I can't tell what is causing the disk activity in Performance and Reliability Monitor -- it's one of the system services, but I don't remember which one.
    The windows desktop becomes completely unresponsive (desktop + the start menu -- system instance of Explorer??)
    CPU usage seems fairly low, and no definite culprit

Only happens when I log in after booting -- If I log out, put my machine to sleep for the night, and log back in, it's not nearly as bad as a "cold" login from boot.

I'm running Live Mesh on my desktop at work, and I have not had any problems.  Both my home machine and my work machine are Windows Vista/32-bit (home is running Ultimate, work is running Business edition).

At work we use the corporate edition of Symantec AntiVirus.  At home, I'm using Norton 2009.
    Both machines are up to date patch-wise.
    At home, I am running Mozy (the online backup) and Norton Ghost 14 (for local backups)
    My work machine is a domain member
    My home machine is not.
    My home machine is running the Firewall that comes with Norton Internet Security 2009
    My work machine runs the Windows Firewall.
    I have parental controls running on my home machine (although I'm not locked out of anything -- just my kids)
    On both machines, I am an admin, and I run with UAC Enabled.
    I'm not sure what else I can tell you.  If there is and kind of trace that you would like for me to run, I'd be happy to. 
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. Since you've removed Live Mesh, there are no logs to gather, but if you wish to install again and submit a bug report with logs, you can do that.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. Since you've removed Live Mesh, there are no logs to gather, but if you wish to install again and submit a bug report with logs, you can do that.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator

Steve:
    If there is a quick/easy way to disable LiveMesh, I will reinstall and share logs (I'd prefer to use it, I like the service).  However, it slows my PC down so badly that I can't keep it on all the time.  I have tried removing moe.exe from startup, but that exe doesn't seem to be causing the problems.  Is there another way to activate/deactivate it?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:59 PM
  • No, there's no "easy" way since Live Mesh runs as a service. Personally, I suspect a conflict with the NAV components in your case. You may want to sit back and wait for a new version to be released (of Live Mesh - don't know when that will be) and see if the problem persists, sending logs with a bug report at that time.
    -steve

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Hi Ben
    Sorry this is an old item but has recently appreared for me (Aug 09)

I have recently started to experience the startup problems outlined here which I can date to upgrading to and running System Mechanic 9.  I have used SM for years without any adverse effects but this version seems to dig deeper than previous versions.  My suspicions focus particulary on the System Guard which runs early in the startup process - startup stalls at the MESH startup and runs in a very limited way for example Skpe is live and signed in but Windows firewall is disabled and the desktop icons are absent but the taskbar LOOKS ok but quickly fails and I have to use Task Manager using (C-A-D) to restart - every time restart clears the problem.   If I run System Mechanic before restarting it reports very poor system security (i.e. the firewall) but none of the other problems!

1.  XP SP2 (fully updated but avoiding SP3)
    2.  running Antivir Premium - which is started under these conditions
    3.  4 synched folders (about 30% of capacity)
    4.  Appox files per folder 2 X 200, 1 X 50, 1 X 25

Rod
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience and information, Rod.

-steve
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:08 PM
  • If it helps, I was experiencing very bad slow-downs, but I only had 11MB total in my mesh folder: 20 files, 4 folders.
    Types of files:

some pdf's
    a few docx's
    a zip file (15KB, containing powershell .ps1 scripts)
    1 exe (iPhone Airmouse server setup exe -- it is 6.9MB out of the total 11MB used)
    some xps files (microsoft's pdf document competitor)
    an efx file (efax fax document)
    some txt files.

Friday, August 28, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I recently started having considerable performance issues with LiveMesh and Live Onecare. My machine (running Windows XP) became unusable for long periods of time. I only had one folder sync'ing and it probably had about 100 total items in it; and they were almost never updated. MSMPENG.exe was thrashing nearly all the time, startup took almost 10 minutes (and possibly even longer for all the task bar applets to load), and the entire system became nearly unusable. Today, I uninstalled Mesh and much of the performance issues have gone away.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:52 PM
  • When I run Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Live Mesh for the first few minutes nothing is loadable, infact the icons on the desktop don't even load. However on my other user account with MSE but no Windows Live Mesh, it becomes useable after a few seconds. I haven't uninstalled it yet, however I uninstalled it previously for the same reason.

How do I get logs to assist the WLM development team?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:04 PM
  • I am experiencing this issue as well; although I am not running anti-virus...

As the common denominator, maybe this bug report is similar to your issue?

You can read another thread with similar issues here;

"This performance hit is definitely something we're addressing heavily and working on repairing with the next major release.  One thing you can do that helps is to not set Mesh to automatically sign in and start."

However, it still wouldn't hurt to vote for the bug linked at the top, to speed things along :)

ShadowXVII | http://www.shadowsplace.net
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Yes, Mesh slows down my startup time around extra 30 seconds.

1 folder shared

about 30 MB, currently 36 files in 7 subdirectories.

contents changed about once a week.

Startup items other than windows live Mesh:
    1. Avast! antivirus v5
    2. Comodo firewall (64-bit)
    3. Intel Rapid Storage service
    4. HP director
    5. Intel HD graphics
    6. ATi catalyst
    (yes, I am using Acer 4745, it has two video cards).

To windows live mesh team, how about providing options to turn off launching at startup? I will create a shortcut on my desktop so I will always remember to sync using mesh each time that folder changed.

• Edited by yusufat Friday, November 19, 2010 2:40 AM fix english grammar error
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Yes, Mesh slows down my startup time around extra 30 seconds.

1 folder shared

about 30 MB, currently 36 files in 7 subdirectories.

contents changed about once a week.

Startup items other than windows live Mesh:
    1. Avast! antivirus v5
    2. Comodo firewall (64-bit)
    3. Intel Rapid Storage service
    4. HP director
    5. Intel HD graphics
    6. ATi catalyst
    (yes, I am using Acer 4745, it has two video cards).

To windows live mesh team, how about providing options to turn off launching at startup? I will create a shortcut on my desktop so I will always remember to sync using mesh each time that folder changed.

Since you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, you are in the wrong forum.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 19, 2010 9:57 AM