Change the Columns in the History / Activities area on a Contact? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

in the History area of a Contact, the default Columns are (in this order) Subject/Activity Type/Activity Status/Regarding/Priority/Due Date.

Can I change these Columns and the order of them? If that is possible, then can you also do this by User? so each user can have different views of this information based on what they work with etc..?

Cheers and regards Rossco
    Monday, May 31, 2010 3:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is definitely possible to change the columns and the order they appear in. However I believe that it is changed at an organisational level, so everyone will have the same view. I am relatively new to CRM though, so if anyone else out there knows how to do it at a user level, I wouldn't mind knowing myself!

To change the History columns, first you need to go to Settings>Customization>Customize Entities. This will bring up a view of customizable entities. To get to the history view, double-click 'Activity' from the list. Then, to customise the view, select 'Views' from the list on the right. The Activities view for a contact is the 'Open Activity Associated View'. The History view is the 'Closed Activity Associated View'. This is the one I believe you want to customise, so double-click it and you'll see the customisation form. From there you can add columns, remove columns and shift them left and right.

• Proposed as answer by Octopuddle Monday, May 31, 2010 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by GrenadaV Monday, May 31, 2010 8:48 PM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 4:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is definitely possible to change the columns and the order they appear in. However I believe that it is changed at an organisational level, so everyone will have the same view. I am relatively new to CRM though, so if anyone else out there knows how to do it at a user level, I wouldn't mind knowing myself!

To change the History columns, first you need to go to Settings>Customization>Customize Entities. This will bring up a view of customizable entities. To get to the history view, double-click 'Activity' from the list. Then, to customise the view, select 'Views' from the list on the right. The Activities view for a contact is the 'Open Activity Associated View'. The History view is the 'Closed Activity Associated View'. This is the one I believe you want to customise, so double-click it and you'll see the customisation form. From there you can add columns, remove columns and shift them left and right.

• Proposed as answer by Octopuddle Monday, May 31, 2010 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by GrenadaV Monday, May 31, 2010 8:48 PM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Hi Octopuddle ,

I am new to this as well and been thrown in the deep-end, but have learnt heaps, sometimes I find that I can't see wood for the trees :-)

thanks very much for this...made me open my eyes again :-) :-)

There is no To or From column to select, but will work on that now that I know what to look at.

Monday, May 31, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Hi, glad I could help.

With the 'To' and 'From' columns, what exactly do you need? I mean, some activity types may have a version of to and from (like email) but for some activity types there isn't specifically a to and from (like a task or an appointment). You might be able to use the 'Regarding' and 'Created By' fields, depending on what you need it for, but since the history list is contextual, the regarding might not be necessary unless you plan on exporting the list to somewhere else...

Monday, May 31, 2010 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

Now that you ask that question, then yes, at this stage we are talking about the Email activity. Based on what you just said, am I correct in thinking that I am looking in the wrong place..? and should be looking at customizing the Email views in the Emai Enitity?...

If that is the case then I really have been having a bad week :-) and it's only just begun :-) :-)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:05 AM
  • I'm just trying to clarify what it is exactly that you're trying to do. What I gather is this: In the activity list on the contact form, you want to add columns that show who emails are being sent to, and who they are being sent from. If this is the case, read on, if not, I might need a bit more info.

What I was getting at was that if an email is in the activity list for a specific contact, then that is because the email is 'to' that contact, in which case you probably don't need a 'To' column because it will all just be the name of the contact you're currently looking at. (That is, unless you want to export the list of activities to, say, excel, where you might need the 'To' column for context). If you do want to have a 'To' column, this is the same thing as 'Regarding'. (This column name is unchangable).

With the 'From', it gets a bit tricky, and depends on how your users use CRM. By default, the 'From' field is automatically populated with the name of the person who created the email activity. If your users simply send emails this way and don't change this field at all, the 'Created By' column will be the same as 'From' for your purpose. If your users create email activities but then change ownership of them, or if your users change the 'from' to another user, I'm not sure if there is a way to show this.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:42 AM
  • I'm just trying to clarify what it is exactly that you're trying to do. What I gather is this: In the activity list on the contact form, you want to add columns that show who emails are being sent to, and who they are being sent from. If this is the case, read on, if not, I might need a bit more info.

What I was getting at was that if an email is in the activity list for a specific contact, then that is because the email is 'to' that contact, in which case you probably don't need a 'To' column because it will all just be the name of the contact you're currently looking at. (That is, unless you want to export the list of activities to, say, excel, where you might need the 'To' column for context). If you do want to have a 'To' column, this is the same thing as 'Regarding'. (This column name is unchangable).

With the 'From', it gets a bit tricky, and depends on how your users use CRM. By default, the 'From' field is automatically populated with the name of the person who created the email activity. If your users simply send emails this way and don't change this field at all, the 'Created By' column will be the same as 'From' for your purpose. If your users create email activities but then change ownership of them, or if your users change the 'from' to another user, I'm not sure if there is a way to show this.

Hi,

You have it right on the button and have done, from the beginning...it is me that is having several senior moments :-)

I understand perfectly now, thanks for that, really appreciated. :-)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Not a problem, glad I could help :)
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:04 AM