Hitachi 7k1000 1TB as the system drive instead of the seagate 500GB? RRS feed

• Question

• Any benefit of using the Hitachi 7k1000 1TB as the system drive instead of the seagate 500GB hard drive that came with the Ex470? Will I see a speed difference or will it be negligible?? I have already upgraded the ram on the ex470 to 2GB.

I am using it with a xps420 4G Q6600 and a WRT600N router.
    Everything is gigabit except my dang xbox 360 which is 10/100.
    I am converting dvd's to drv-ms files and am only getting aprox 8-12 % network utilization at most even though I am only utilizing 10% cpu power. Wondering if it is the speed at which my dvd drive is able to read/process or if the HD on the server is slowing the process down.

Thanks for your help.

Spec on Hitachi:
    Model
    Brand HITACHI
    Series Deskstar 7K1000
    Model HDS721010KLA330 (0A35155)
    Performance
    Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Capacity 1TB
    RPM 7200 RPM
    Cache 32MB
    Average Seek Time 8.5ms
    Average Latency 4.17ms

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• If your 1TB drive isn't installed, and the 500GB is already in as your system drive, you will see little or no benefit by going to the trouble of changing them over. Unless of course, you are going to be transferring files in excess of 450GB at a time!

Using it as a data drive - once the 'bug' is fixed - will give you more flexibility.

Colin

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:51 PM

All replies

•  MIlachy wrote:
    Any benefit of using the Hitachi 7k1000 1TB as the system drive instead of the seagate 500GB hard drive that came with the Ex470? Will I see a speed difference or will it be negligible?? I have already upgraded the ram on the ex470 to 2GB.

The largest drive you have should be the system drive so, yes, you should use the Hitachi 1TB as your system disk.

It will make no difference to the speed of backup.  Even your gigabit network cannot transfer data nearly as fast as even your Seagate HDD can accept it.  The RAM upgrade will likewise have little or no effect.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:16 AM
  •  MIlachy wrote:
    I am using it with a xps420 4G Q6600 and a WRT600N router.
    Everything is gigabit except my dang xbox 360 which is 10/100.
    I am converting dvd's to drv-ms files and am only getting aprox 8-12 % network utilization at most even though I am only utilizing 10% cpu power. Wondering if it is the speed at which my dvd drive is able to read/process or if the HD on the server is slowing the process down.

A couple of questions for you.  Are you copying to your Home Server over a wired or wireless connection?  Is your Xbox 360 wired or wireless?

The reason I ask is the fact that wireless will use the transmission protocol of the slowest connection on the WLAN.  So if you have all Wireless N devices, and a single Wireless G device, everything will move at Wireless G speeds.

If everything is wired, then obviously none of that nonsense matters. 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:46 PM
  • If your 1TB drive isn't installed, and the 500GB is already in as your system drive, you will see little or no benefit by going to the trouble of changing them over. Unless of course, you are going to be transferring files in excess of 450GB at a time!

Using it as a data drive - once the 'bug' is fixed - will give you more flexibility.

Colin

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:51 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

If your 1TB drive isn't installed, and the 500GB is already in as your system drive, you will see little or no benefit by going to the trouble of changing them over.

Colin,

I'm new to the WHS scene and just purchased a EX470.  I want to make sure I understand your answer here.  If I purchased a 1TB drive in the future it wouldn't make sense, performance wise, to make it my system drive if I already have the factory 500GB drive?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I am copying the dvds from my dvd drive in my xps to the ex470 via the linksys wrt600n. Both the pc and ex470 are pluged into the wrt600n and are recognized as gigabit connections.The only thing wireless is the xbox360 so that would cause the throttle down to 10/100 on wireless connections. Still trying to figure out why only 8-12% utilization when copying movies from the dvd drive on my pc to the WHS even though I am only utilizing 10% cpu power and only 42% ram...

The most that I have transferred to the WHS in one day is aprox 160GB but I know that will not be the norm. Once I have added the bulk of my movies and music it will be only added to perhaps monthly and at most 40GB. I am getting the next 1TB hard drive in a few hours and still debating if I should replace the 500gb primary drive with the 1TB new drive.

Thanks again,

Milachy

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:53 PM
  • Your wireless will actually throttle down to Wireless G speeds.  I don't know if the Xbox wireless adapter is G or G-High Speed so it may be around 54/108 Mbps.  I would probably guess 54Mbps.

Anyway...

I would think the speed you are getting is simply a matter of how fast your DVD-ROM can send data to the computer for copying.  If you are curious, copy a movie to your local hard drive and then from there pass it along to your WHS.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:41 PM
  •  MIlachy wrote:
    I am getting the next 1TB hard drive in a few hours and still debating if I should replace the 500gb primary drive with the 1TB new drive.

Thanks again,

Milachy

See my post above and ColinWH's post - your question has already been answered.

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:49 AM
  • you will never see 100% utilization ever its not possible due to transfer overheads, and on windows you'll be lucky to ever see about 50% - i can top out at about 85-90% on a 100mbit linux server but ive never had windows above 40% on a single thread transfer - using multiple threads will use more effectivly though
    Friday, March 21, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Dusty,

The overall performance of the WHS is limited by more than the disk transfer speed, so unless you're thinking of going the solid-state route, then exchanging your system drive isn't really a speed-up. Depending on how many drives you have in the system, personally I would use any extra drive as additional storage, or, if you already have what you consider enough storage, use the extra drive as an opportunity to have off-site backups. (When the Power Pack becomes available).

Colin

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:03 PM