Is there a NIC card out there that plays nice with WHS and won't break the bank? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a few "recycled" parts to build a server using Windows Home Server and the Dell MoBo's network isn't working. The Netgear GA311 I picked up at Staples wouldn't work due to no available drivers. Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest using an intel nic. I never use an onboard nic unless it's based on intel nic hardware. They just work and the drivers are well maintained. My experience has been very good with intel nics. They are usually the prefered Nic when it comes to server hardware and drivers. If your motherboard has an open PCI-e slot, I would suggest a PCIe 1x intel nic that will probably cost around 30-40 bucks depending on model from newegg. They also have PCI nics as well if you only have PCI slots on your motherboard.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Thanks Tedkitus,

A little late, but I found one that did work. I figured that since WHS is sort of a stripped down Server 2003 that NIC cards with drivers for that OS would work and a TrendNet TEG-ECTZ WORKED. Yeah it was $60.00, but it came with a $20.00 rebate, soooooo...... $40.00. And again THANKS.

BlueJay55
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:50 AM