Are both DNS and Active Directory enabled in a mixed-mode environment? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install Exchange 2000, but am currently running in mixed-mode because I still have a few NT4 servers in my domain with the other Windows 2000 servers.  Eventually, I will turn off the NT4 servers and switch to native-mode.  But, the Exchange 2000 install documents say I must have DNS and Active Directory installed prior to installation.  Are both DNS and Active Directory enabled in a mixed-mode environment?  Or, only in native-mode?

Thursday, January 11, 2007 6:02 PM

All replies

• A couple of thoughts for you. First are your NT4 servers domain controllers? If not, go ahead and switch to native mode. Native mode only applies to the servers that are your domain controllers.

Active Directory is what is on your domain controllers by default, it is your directory service. DNS is a separate service that you install, but *I believe* that it has to be installed before AD anyway. We have our domain controllers also serving DNS so both are live. I'm pretty sure that you'll have both in your environment anyway. Check out your domain controller scenario, upgrade to native and rock-n-roll with Exchange.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:18 AM