OneCare tells me that my subscription is a trial subscription RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to associate my laptop to my OneCare circle.  I have 2 PCs a desktop and a laptop, both of which have been on my OneCare circle since I purchased the laptop and OneCare in August 2007.  Suddenly, OneCare is telling me that action is required for my laptop, but my subscription is a trial subscription and I need to purchase a full subscription. 

So... I go to the OneCare website and try to re-enter my product key and it tells me that this product key is already in use and I should follow the instructions from OneCare on my PC to associate a new PC with my subscription.

So... I go to OneCare on my PC and follow the link to add a new PC to my OneCare circle and it tells me that I have a trial version installed and I need to purchase a full subscription. 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

If both computers are useing the same product i.d then they should both expire at the same time.

""So... I go to the OneCare website and try to re-enter my product key and it tells me that this product key is already in use and I should follow the instructions from OneCare on my PC to associate a new PC with my subscription.""

You must use the same e-mail when reinstalling as you did the first time.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I tried your link and it gave me some options.  The first was:

Validate subscription by signing in to Windows Live ID

(This can be found in the Help -> About menu of the OneCare client)

I chose this option and entered the subscription ID found in the Help -> About menu of the OneCare client and it replied with the following message:

- We could not find your OneCare subscription.
    Please sign in with the Live ID you used to activate your subscription.

This makes no sense as the OneCare client said this was my ID.

So I tried the next Option from your e-mail link:

- Validate subscription by entering the product ID number
    Enter your 20 digit product identification number.
    - - -
    The number is located in Help -> About menu

There is no 20 digit number in the Help -> About menu.  The only number I have is the Product Key on the original OneCare box and it is a 25 digit number.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:49 PM
  • check to see if you used a diffrent email on your pc, then you did on your laptop, if you did try to use that email to validate your subscription.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Okay, I checked and the information is the same in the OneCare client on both my Desktop and my Laptop and neither one contains a 20 digit ID number, but they both contain my e-mail address as the subscription ID.

The e-mail account I used to register OneCare is the same as the one listed as the subscription ID and is the only e-mail account I have. I have used this account for several years, so it has to be correct.  It's obvious that the link between my Windows Live account and my OneCare account has been broken and Microsoft no longer recognizes the association between the two. 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Can someone please give me some assistance here?????

I can't get support from Microsoft because their wonderful support website shows that the version on my computer is a trial version, so I'm not eligible for on-line or live support (how convenient for them), when I have the product registration in front of me.  I'm in a catch-22.  I need support, but they have conveniently re-classified my store bought version as a trial version, which is now expired!!!  I never installed a trial version.  I bought the boxed (plastic round end goofy box) version the same day I bought the laptop and installed it later that day as soon as my computer was configured.  If I try to re-enter my product registration number, it tells me that number is already in use.  No kidding, I'M THE ONE WHO USED IT.  It even says so in the Help -> About menu of the OneCare client window.   Now I'm getting plenty of messages saying my computer is at risk, but the only way to fix it is to spend the money to buy the same product again. 

No Thanks.  What kind of racket is this?  Am I just supposed to sit here and wait for an answer to fall out of the sky?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:57 PM
  • What version of OneCare are you currently running? If you are running 2.0.2394.2 you are running the beta and need to reinstall OneCare - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2690424&SiteID=2

When you sign in with the subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com what is the status of your subscription?

You can reach support via email by following the instructions in the FAQ - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:23 AM
  • The version I am running is 2.0.2500.14. 

When I click the link you providedand log in with my Live ID, it doesn't even list Live OneCare as a service.

But... on the "About Windows Live OneCare" screen in the client, it lists that e-mail address as my Subscription ID and says it's no longer active. 

I have tried re-installing, but it keeps sending me in the same endless catch-22 I described earlier. 

I have tried the support(FAQ) link also with the same results.  You sent this before and I described what happened. 

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:21 PM
  •  keatoma1 wrote:

The version I am running is 2.0.2500.14. 

When I click the link you providedand log in with my Live ID, it doesn't even list Live OneCare as a service.

But... on the "About Windows Live OneCare" screen in the client, it lists that e-mail address as my Subscription ID and says it's no longer active. 

I have tried re-installing, but it keeps sending me in the same endless catch-22 I described earlier. 

I have tried the support(FAQ) link also with the same results.  You sent this before and I described what happened. 

Please email me at sboots@mvps.org with "OneCare subscription problem" in the subject line and this link in the message body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2710997&SiteID=2

Tell me what country you are located in, as well.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:22 PM