Cannot access shared folders from Vista machine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I cannot access the shared folders on my home server from my vista home premium machine, but I am able to with the XP Home Edition machine. On the network map created by the Vista machine it says: "The following discovered devices can not be placed in the map." and it shows the server in the list. My network is configured as a "private" network on the Vista machine.

When I right click the shared folder under the windows home server console, I get the response "The network path was not found".

I have spent hours researching this issue but I cannot come up with a solution. Any help would be appreciated. I am using WHS with PP1 on a quad-core PC.

thanks

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:31 AM

Answers

• Thanks for all of your continued support. After finding that I was unable to browse the shared folders on my XP machine from my Vista machine, I decided I must somehow have a corrupted copy of Vista. I was unable to repair it by reinstalling components, so I decided to reinstall the operating system. I haven't got all of the drivers installed yet, but after installing just the wireless adaptor driver, I reinstalled WHS connector from the version on my home server. I now have access to all of the shared folders and shared printing. It's working great so far. My fingers are crossed...

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:21 PM

All replies

• What happens when you click on the "Shared Folders" on Server short cut on your PC?

What happens when you right click the Home Server Tray Icon on your PC and pick "Shared Folders"?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:58 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

What happens when you click on the "Shared Folders" on Server short cut on your PC?

It says "\\BWSERVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network provider name is invalid."

T. Headrick wrote:

What happens when you right click the Home Server Tray Icon on your PC and pick "Shared Folders"?

I get: "Cannot open Windows Home Server shares. Please check the access permissions and try again."

Through the server console I have right clicked each folder to ensure the permissions are wide open. Also, as I mentioned above, my XP machine can see all of the shared folders and read/write to them. When I double click the server icon under "Network" I am taken to the server's homepage, but never any actual directories. Also, I have tried turning firewalls off of all of these machines, but this has not been successful.

I am running WHS PP1 beta. I am considering uninstalling it, but haven't figure out how and I am not sure this is necessary either.

Also, is there anything analagous to the public or private network setting on WHS? When I view my "Network Map" under the Network and Sharing center of my vista machine, it shows my server under "The following discovered devices can not be placed in the map." Under the help documentation for this, it says this could be due to public/private settings on a Vista machine. However, in this case it is not Vista, but WHS.

Thanks for your interest.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:06 AM
  • Is the username you defined on the home server the same as the one you are using on the Vista machine?  On Vista you can open up a "cmd" prompt and type "whoami" to see which user you are logged in as.

After changing the permissions for the shared folders on the Windows Home Server Console.  You need to log off from the Vista PC and then log back in.

Windows Home Server will not show up in a Windows Vista map, because it does not have the capabilities that Vista is looking for to place it into the map.  This is normal behavior.  Also if you have Media Sharing enabled via the Windows Home Server Console - Setttings - Media Sharing - then you will see 2 or 3 icons for your server.  One for accessing the Shared Folders, one for accessing the UPnP announcement page, and one for media sharring access via Windows Media Connect.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Is the username you defined on the home server the same as the one you are using on the Vista machine?  On Vista you can open up a "cmd" prompt and type "whoami" to see which user you are logged in as.

My username is the same on both machines. When I did whoami it reported an all lowercase username, so I tried creating an all lowercase user account on the WHS. This did not work -- and on the XP machine, when I try to access the WHS shares from an account that doesn't exist on the WHS, it simply asks me for a valid username and password. Shouldn't this happen on the Vista machine? This should not limit my access to the server.

T. Headrick wrote:

After changing the permissions for the shared folders on the Windows Home Server Console.  You need to log off from the Vista PC and then log back in.

I rebooted a few times -- both machines -- in between changes.

T. Headrick wrote:

Windows Home Server will not show up in a Windows Vista map, because it does not have the capabilities that Vista is looking for to place it into the map.  This is normal behavior.  Also if you have Media Sharing enabled via the Windows Home Server Console - Setttings - Media Sharing - then you will see 2 or 3 icons for your server.  One for accessing the Shared Folders, one for accessing the UPnP announcement page, and one for media sharring access via Windows Media Connect.

Thanks for the clarifications. I do see two icons -- even on the vista machine. One leads to the server homepage, and the other is Windows Media Connect.

Do you have any other ideas? I tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into my laptop because this changes the topology of the network map (my router, DIR-655, is represented as three devices over wireless). This did not work either though. I am running out of ideas...I would like to get my hands on another vista machine to test it out on my network. I am using home premium.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Is you Windows Vista computer a workgroup or a part of a domain?

Do both PC's have the same passwords?

If you enable the Guest account on the Windows Home Server, can your Windows Vista computer navigate through the shares?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Please pardon me if I am asking the obvious, but have you rebooted the server?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:16 PM
  •  tDogEast wrote:

Please pardon me if I am asking the obvious, but have you rebooted the server?

No problem stating the obvious because I am sure this is going to be something simple...but yes, I reboot the server often as it does so in only a minute.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:45 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

Is you Windows Vista computer a workgroup or a part of a domain?

As far as I can tell under Control Panel --> System, it's part of the default domain name "WORKGROUP".

Joel Burt wrote:

Do both PC's have the same passwords?

Identical

Joel Burt wrote:

If you enable the Guest account on the Windows Home Server, can your Windows Vista computer navigate through the shares?

I just enabled the guest account, but I got the same error messages when right clicking the home server icon in the system tray or double clicking the desktop shortcut that I mentioned above.

Thanks anyway

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Just so I'm clear - is share browsing the only thing that does not work from your Vista system? Can you connect to the admin console? Do backups work?

Do you have any third party firewall / security software installed on the Vista system?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:41 PM
  •  V. Krishnamurthi wrote:

Just so I'm clear - is share browsing the only thing that does not work from your Vista system? Can you connect to the admin console? Do backups work?

I can connect to the admin console without difficulties through the vista machine. Browsing the shared directories does not work. I have not tried the backup for a few days, but previously it would fail part way through the process. I figured this was because it can't access the directories to write the backup data, so I decided to put this aside for now. I will try backups again though.

V. Krishnamurthi wrote:

Do you have any third party firewall / security software installed on the Vista system?

I don't use any third party firewalls for exactly this reason. I do use AVG free on the Vista machine and Avast on the server. I have turned off the two firewalls and the Avast periodically, without any luck.

I have Cisco VPN software that seems emulate a network adaptor and Hamachi installed. I might uninstall these to see if they are having any affect on network access.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Actually backup does not write to a share on the server so it should not fail for this reason.

Can you run the following in a cmd window and send us the o/p?

ping bwserver

net view \\bwserver

nbtstat -n

nbtstat -r

nbtstat -a bwserver

nbtstat -a bwserver -c

Also, can you check whether you have NetBIOS over TCP enabled in your LAN configuration?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Have you tried removing the connector software, rebooting, and reinstalling the software?  Also, did you install the connector software from the WHS?  AFAIK, after installing PP1, you have to install the connector software from the WHS.

Are all of your computers on the "WORKGROUP" workgroup?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:08 AM

Actually backup does not write to a share on the server so it should not fail for this reason.

Can you run the following in a cmd window and send us the o/p?

ping bwserver

net view \\bwserver

nbtstat -n

nbtstat -r

nbtstat -a bwserver

nbtstat -a bwserver -c

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Brady>ping bwserver

Pinging bwserver [192.168.0.199] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.199:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Brady>net view \\bwserver
    System error 1231 has occurred.

The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troublesho
    oting, see Windows Help.

C:\Users\Brady>nbtstat -n

Bluetooth Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

Wireless Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.107] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name               Type         Status
        ---------------------------------------------
        BWDELLLAPTOP   <20>  UNIQUE      Registered

C:\Users\Brady>nbtstat -r

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics
        ----------------------------------------------------

Resolved By Broadcast     = 2
        Resolved By Name Server   = 0

Registered By Broadcast   = 1
        Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
               BWSERVER       <00>
               BWSERVER       <00>

C:\Users\Brady>nbtstat -a bwserver

Host not found.

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
        BWSERVER       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
        BWSERVER       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
        ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-1B-21-14-BD-5A

C:\Users\Brady>nbtstat -a bwserver -c

No names in cache

NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        BWSERVER       <20>  UNIQUE          192.168.0.199       587
        BWSERVER       <00>  UNIQUE          192.168.0.199       355

C:\Users\Brady>

V. Krishnamurthi wrote:

Also, can you check whether you have NetBIOS over TCP enabled in your LAN configuration?

The NetBIOS setting was set to the default, which as you probably know is "Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server". I switched NetBIOS to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" and the above output is after this change and a reboot of my vista machine. The note on the configuration page recommends enabling NetBIOS if a static IP address is used. I have programmed my router such that my server is fixed at the address noted above.

Thanks for your troubleshooting ideas. Any further suggestions?

Brady

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:02 AM
  •  kegobeer wrote:
    Have you tried removing the connector software, rebooting, and reinstalling the software?  Also, did you install the connector software from the WHS?  AFAIK, after installing PP1, you have to install the connector software from the WHS.

Yes, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the connector software. I install it from the OEM CD, but then it asks me to upgrade from a webpage on the server -- which I then do afterwards.

kegobeer wrote:

Are all of your computers on the "WORKGROUP" workgroup?

I will check the XP machine, but the Vista machine definitely is.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:05 AM

Actually backup does not write to a share on the server so it should not fail for this reason.

Funny, now the backup fails at 0% and says "The backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running." It certainly didn't restart while it was running.

Sheesh, I'm beginning to think I should throw this computer out the window.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:20 AM
  • The network is good and the Vista system can see the NetBIOS name of the server.

The only thing I can think of currently is to check that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is enabled in the LAN properties page.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:41 AM
  •  braidster wrote:
     V. Krishnamurthi wrote:

Funny, now the backup fails at 0% and says "The backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running." It certainly didn't restart while it was running.

Sheesh, I'm beginning to think I should throw this computer out the window.

Ok, I re-installed connector from the version supplied by the WHS with PP1 installed. I don't notice any difference. With a few reboots, however, backup is now working to 56% and is "Determining which clusters have changed". I will let you know if it completes, but last time in failed later than this.

I still can't access the shared folders though. Any ideas based on the diagnostics I sent earlier?

Thanks a lot

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Is "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled in the LAN properties page?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:52 PM

Is "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled in the LAN properties page?

Yes, the above box is ticked under the LAN properties page. I toggle it and rebooted a few times, but no luck.

I did get a backup to complete successfully though. I still can't access the shared folders though. This is just getting frustrating.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Checked the use of firewalls or ohter protection programs ? In some system setup's Norton 2008 cause pro******lems with Vista SP1. Other protection programs can have the same pro******lems. Advise, uninstall all protection programs, ******oot, uninstall WHS connector, ******oot. Reinstall WHS connector, ******oot&n******sp;and after that install again your protection software.

&n******sp;

Read around the net a******out Vista SP1, XP SP3 and protection software pro******lems. The pro******lems with software nowadays is the that no one works togheter anymore which cause these nasty flaws.

&n******sp;

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Don't know what is going on with the posting but it seems that letter b gives all the stars

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:53 AM
  • Are you able to browse shares on other computers  (e.g. your XP system) from your Vista system?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Could you please file a bug on this so that we can investigate further? Please include the logs from your server (instructions can be found via Connect).  After filing a bug, please post the but number here in a reply so the community can track the bug.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3483872&SiteID=50

Thanks much and if you have any questions on filing procedures just let me know.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Thanks for all of your continued support. After finding that I was unable to browse the shared folders on my XP machine from my Vista machine, I decided I must somehow have a corrupted copy of Vista. I was unable to repair it by reinstalling components, so I decided to reinstall the operating system. I haven't got all of the drivers installed yet, but after installing just the wireless adaptor driver, I reinstalled WHS connector from the version on my home server. I now have access to all of the shared folders and shared printing. It's working great so far. My fingers are crossed...

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Before you continue I suggest that you download the diagnostic software from your PC's harddrive manufacturer. Maybe your drive has bad sectors and if that is the case you soon will end up again with a corrupt working machine. If the drive is ok you may pay more attention to ohter issue's like malicious software or driver/software conflicts.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  Parabellum555 wrote:
    Before you continue I suggest that you download the diagnostic software from your PC's harddrive manufacturer. Maybe your drive has bad sectors and if that is the case you soon will end up again with a corrupt working machine. If the drive is ok you may pay more attention to ohter issue's like malicious software or driver/software conflicts.

Those are great points...thanks a lot. I will run some diagnostics on my harddrive.

Things seem to be work well now after the re-install.

Thanks

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:38 PM