Web component server problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again, Folks,

I'm having a problem with distribution group expansion and the IIS in general on my webo components server.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what permissions needs to be on the IIS Default web site, (iuser_machine), and if there are any good tricks to test access rights.

Am I even barking up the right tree, actually... we've never been able to expand distribution lists here.  We can see the distribution groups / look them up from communicator, but we're unable to use them. 

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:29 PM

Answers

• Got the problem fixed.  I did some research on the folks that were not able to expand the groups, and they were all going to 2 front end servers that were configured pre-"me"... I stopped those servers services, removed them from the load balancer, and life is good.  Not the most scientific fix, but I'll take it.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you configure a certificate on IIS?
    If you investigate the IIS logs what kind of errors are revealed?
    Do you have any events logged on the server with regards to the webcomponents?

You can also try to access the groupexpansion service directly by using this url
    https://
    internalwebfarmurl/GroupExpansion/Int/Service.asmx

You can also run the OCSBPA to try and find out if something else is wrong:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B90993C-072A-4C84-B385-B76D23B2F27C&displaylang=en

Sincerely,
    Tonino Bruno
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Sorry that I took so long to get back to you... been hectic getting these servers all working correctly.  I now have 11 OCS servers in this installation.

I have actually decommissioned the old components server, and put 2 new servers in it's place.  They seem to be working pretty well now that I have corrected path's for the content, metadata and addressbook.

The only big problem I'm finding now is that some users can expand distribution groups, while others cannot.  It doesn't seem to be a login or rights issue, as some users that CAN expand the distribution groups from their machines, cannot when logged into another persons' machine that is unable to expand using their profile. 

Argh... this is killing me.  It seems to be workstation specific, but I have to keep in mind that we have (in effect) had 2 different OCS deployments here... sigh... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Got the problem fixed.  I did some research on the folks that were not able to expand the groups, and they were all going to 2 front end servers that were configured pre-"me"... I stopped those servers services, removed them from the load balancer, and life is good.  Not the most scientific fix, but I'll take it.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:11 PM