Recommendations on using the Home Server 2011 in my small business doing repairs and service RRS feed

• Question

• I need to set up a windows server for a small business with only 5 computers.  Can someone recommend the lowest cost setup.  I am thinking about using the windows home server 2011 software to accomplish this task.  I need to load diagnostic software on the server in the repair of 5 to 6 computers connected to the server, and load images from the server to the client computers to be refurbished.  Thanks for any suggestions....Bill Reeves
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:23 PM

Answers

• Well WHS2011 is cheap US$50 so it meets that requirement. It will also meet your needs for the numbers of Clients (up to 10). The only problem I can see is that your diagnostic s/w whatever it is may not be compatible. Loading images should be fine if you are just using the server for storing the images in shared folders.

You are not using much of WHS2011's functionality (media streaming, client backups etc.) so if your diagnostic s/w is not compatible you may be better off with W7 albeit more expensive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Bill Reeves Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:26 AM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:55 PM

All replies

• Well WHS2011 is cheap US$50 so it meets that requirement. It will also meet your needs for the numbers of Clients (up to 10). The only problem I can see is that your diagnostic s/w whatever it is may not be compatible. Loading images should be fine if you are just using the server for storing the images in shared folders.

You are not using much of WHS2011's functionality (media streaming, client backups etc.) so if your diagnostic s/w is not compatible you may be better off with W7 albeit more expensive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Bill Reeves Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:26 AM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Phil,  Thanks for the input.  I will look into other Servers to use.

wtreeves

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:27 AM