internet explorer history RRS feed

• Question

• can anyone help at all.

what i want to acheive is to send the explorer history list to my network drive. the reason for this is so that i can see exactly where my daughter is going on her computer to help keep my firewall list updated.

i just want to beable to run a small file everytime she turns on her computer (in the startup folder) to copy the contents of the history list to a network drive and thus enabling me to veiw the list and firewall appropriatly. if i can do this when she startsup and without her knowing i can catch her out. or i could catch her cousin out who also uses the comuter.

can anyone help, as i would not know where to start looking. i cannot find a history folder like i used to on older windows. also would i need and particular program to veiw the url's or could i print them once i open them?

cheers to anyone who can help a worried father.

phil reed.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hi

what operating system is it if its vista theres bound to be a few problems

N0VLAX

Friday, February 23, 2007 5:05 PM
  • no i am using xp home edition on all systems. i would never update to latest software at least until i have read 3-4 months worth of reviews, my data is too precious to loose trying to update the operating system. i have too many doubts. but if anyone does know where i can find the history as a file or directory so i can copy it from one computer to enable me seeing which sites has been visited. please do let me know.

cheers

Friday, February 23, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Hi, It does not look as if you got an answer so I don't know if you still have the problem. The internet history is a folder anyway so all you need to do is copy the c:\documents and settings\%userprofile%\Local Settings\History folder to somewhere else. You will then find that what you copied looks nothing like the history data as displayed. You will have a folder called History, and one under that called History.IE5. In that folder will be file called index.dat. You may have a folder, or two, as well with another index.dat in it. Get yourself a copy of filealyser - google it -  and open these dat files with that and look at the hex dump tab. You should be able to see all the sites she has visited.

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:11 PM