How many watts for 10 Drives? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a 700 Watt OCZ power supply in my WHS and have been runnig with 10 hard drives ..with some soldered power splitters for the cooling fans mind you and i recently removed 1 x 320 and 1 x 500 to replace with 2 750GB drives and when i plug them bboth in the macine starts to boot then ..quits.. tries agina then quits..

Am i at the end of my available power?

Anyone know how many watts 10 hard drives would require?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:56 PM

Answers

• I have switched out all the wiring and then even hooked the the 320 + 500GB drives back up and the system boots fine..

Just whenn i get these last 2 750gb's hooked up do i have a problem...

I have every confidence in my DIY power splitters, I been making then for years .. they really are quitre professional looking.. Soldered wiring and shrink sleeve.. I prefer them also because I can make them any lenght I want.. closer together so there is not some much wiring mess in the case..

I have hooked up a sperate power plufg to the last drive and it comes up fine, so i really think I have determined it is a lack of mojo ..

Maybe this PW does not put out what it claims it does Sad 

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:53 PM

All replies

• First make sure that you can boot with either drive by itself. It's possible that you have a bad drive, or a bad connector or cable, so try both drives, with both cables, and both connectors.

As for power consumption, it depends on the drives. Your maximum power requirement will be during spin-up, and as a rule of thumb may be as much as 3-5x the read/write power requirements of the drive. The average drive these days has a R/W requirement of something like 8-10 watts, and older drives may be higher, so you could be looking at something in excess of 300 watts just to spin up all your drives. See if your motherboard and controllers support staggered spin-up, to reduce peak startup load on the power supply.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Interesting about the staggered spin up.. I dont remember seeing anythign like that in there..it is a Gigabyte 965p-DQ6.

But then i never really looked,

I did determine that it was in fact a lack of juice.. I jimmy rigged an external drive enclosure to provide power to one of the drives and the machine boots up fine,  I ordered up a 1000watt PW for that machine as I was planning on installing 2 more drives yet on an add-in sata card ...

"I need more power"

"I am giving her all she has got Jim" !!

Ok so that was my lame impression of spock and kirk.. but hey it sounded really smart in person ..really !!

Smile

Saturday, January 19, 2008 10:03 PM
  • From the Seagate website ..

Serial ATA (SATA)

The Serial ATA (SATA) interface was designed to replaced parallel ATA in desktop, notebook, consumer electronics and network storage systems. SATA allows you to move more data in less time, which results in increase performance and flexibility. Native Command Queuing, a key feature of SATA, makes it possible to sort and prioritize several commands at the same time and reduce mechanical wear and tear within the drive. Other features such as hot plug, staggered spin-up and a fast transfer rate of 3Gb/s per second make SATA a perfect choice for servers, workstations, desktops, consumer electronics and laptop PCs.

So there must be a setting on thr drive itself some where is my guess

Saturday, January 19, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Ok looks like the drive support Staggered Spin up but you ahve to set it in the motherbaord i am guess.. I qwent through the BIOS settings (latest version) and there is do setting to use staggered spin up.. is that normally where this setting would be?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Sounds right.  Typically, that setting would be found somewhere under the drive controllers (possibly in one of the Advanced menus.)

However, given that much hardware, it might be time for a secondary power supply. 
    Two ways to wire it:  manual switch, or to wire PSU#2 as a slave unit (Google would be your friend here.)

Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Hi Cuppie,

Staggered spin up is one of the features of AHCI. You'll find it in your bios usually as "IDE or AHCI or RAID" in your disk controller setup.

John Leate

Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:42 AM
  • True.  But, if Stacy set the drive controller(s) to IDE mode (or, they were set that way by default), that option isn't giong to be there, right?
    And, changing the drive controller mode to SATA/AHCI after the system was installed just might result in an unbootable system.
    Of course, if that happens, changing it back to IDE mode would allow the system to boot normally again (of course, without the hardware overload that's currently there.)

Stacy:  what mode is the drive controller currently set to in the BIOS?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Currently BIOS is all set in IDE mode.. I will investigate this further tomorrow morning ..I will post the options available Smile

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:39 AM
  • You probably won't find a setting specific to it. It's supposed to do it automatically when you have multiple drives connected. Some of the newer SATA raid cards offer a specific setting, but most do it automatically based on the current load, as do some of the motherboards. 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:08 AM
  • It might also be some of the power splitters that are acting up, I have 12 hardddisk on a 400 watt power supply with no problems, but I do have several power splitters, and bumping the PC case, can easily dislodge one, which again can mess up a boot up sequence.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:52 PM
  •  

The MB has 2 controller settings that are changable..

Both can be set to IDE/AHCI/RAID

I changed both to AHCI with no difference Sad

I think I basically need more juice as it will boot fine with the extra drive in using external power from a drive enclosure.

I had power issues before when i had 9 drives in my old set up, they would chirp like there where birds in side them, until they would finally die, and the pc would stutter sometimes on movie play back, however when i upgraded the power to 700 watts it got all better, drives dont chirp.. no stuttering.. 

so I am suprised you have 12 drives on 400 watts, are they big drives?

It seems to me the bigger teh drive the more juice it takes, as my set was working with 10 drives fine until i changed out a 320 and a 500 for 2 x 750's..

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:15 PM
  • My drives are from 300 - 750 GB, however looking at Toms Hardware articles on HDD, it seems that there are big difefences from manufacturer to manufacturer, a recent test showed that 1000 Gb drives ranged from about 10-20 watt, but I would still say that even 10 or 12 times 20 watt, is still only about 200 watt so should not be an issue.

Another thing might be that many power supplies can't quite give out the juice they claim.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:23 PM
  • True enough, the 1000watt pw I have on the way is the top rated one at toms hardware.

So we will see how that goes Smile

All my drives are Seagates... power hungry i guess hehe

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I can't help but wonder if you are getting a grounding piece of soldered wiring that is causing the problem. I just got finished working on a circuit board and was reminded of how even the tiniest overlap in solder can cause a system to short or break the circuit. I'd just check to make sure it is all still solid. Also, why not just get some power splitters from newegg instead of diy? They are only about 2 bucks (max) per splitter. And they have molex and sata.

Just an idea for if the kilowatt doesn't work.

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:13 PM
  • I have switched out all the wiring and then even hooked the the 320 + 500GB drives back up and the system boots fine..

Just whenn i get these last 2 750gb's hooked up do i have a problem...

I have every confidence in my DIY power splitters, I been making then for years .. they really are quitre professional looking.. Soldered wiring and shrink sleeve.. I prefer them also because I can make them any lenght I want.. closer together so there is not some much wiring mess in the case..

I have hooked up a sperate power plufg to the last drive and it comes up fine, so i really think I have determined it is a lack of mojo ..

Maybe this PW does not put out what it claims it does Sad 

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:53 PM