7TB Storage, 3,11TB Free, yet it thinks its full RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

Have an issue with my whs acer aspire easy store H340.

Its populated with 1TB, 3x2TB drives.

its 48% free space, yet Network is critical, and reports not enough free space on some drives.

Help??

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hmmm Very odd, after reading various other posts about similar issues,

Especially this 1 >

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/whssoftware/thread/D6289EFF-27CB-4188-A015-B1155FC696FD

Ii decided to install the Disk Management Add-In, to see if i could see the issue with a disk.

Since doing this, my server has become healthy...

Status of disks...

Disk0 1TB, 97%

Disk1 2TB, 24%

Disk2 2TB, 98%

Disk3 2TB, 6%

Dont know why, all of a sudden it sorted itself out, or if it was due to the Add-In, I installed.

Anyone shed any light on the issue? I will keep this post open, just incase it reports the issue again, still migrating data from old server to new.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Did you at any time copy stuff locally to D:\shares instead of using the UNC path?

Since Drive Extender expects only tombstones and not real files here, it will fail to relocate those properly and this will fill up the disk.

Also the system drive (the 20 GB volume) could be full and so cause the warning. Log on via Remote Desktop and check that.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Hi Thanks for reply, System Drive, has 8GB free, so all is good there.

95% of the stuff was over unc from my old server to new server. But i did move some files locally via RDP once they where moved.

eg.

from d:\shares\videos\home videos\  i moved to d:\shares\home videos\

but after your suggestion, i re-moved them from d:\shares\home videos \\mymediaserver\home_videos

still got same issue.

I found beekcakes disk balancer app, but still having issues. I deleted about 20GB of stuff, so I could run the disk balancer program, as drive 0 was at 99%.

Started it last night, and left it running.

Checked this morning, and it was still going.

I dont think the disk migrator is functioning properly.

These 2 screens are the results of the disk balancer running over night. its increased the space on the 2 drives to 72% but nothing else has changed.

This whole DE just dont make any sense.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Simply moving something in D:\shares would usually move the tombstones, or any copied files within the same drive. So removing first, adding later would be the better option.

My recommendation in this situation:

Copy some stuff from shares away to a local drive and delete it from the server. Wait for a duplication cycle to happen. Is now less space occupied?

If not, check D:\shares as well as C:\fs\...\DE\shares, if there are still remains of these abandoned files and delete them in Windows explorer too.

If yes, you can copy the stuff back to the regular shares.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Thanks again Olaf,

OK Ive added another 2TB drive to ESATA and RDP in and will copy 2TB's of data off.

Then I will delete these files and see what happens.

I do have an FTP server running on whs, which points to a folder outside my d:\shares

I use this to backup another Server over night, but the data is only 50GB Max. Will this have an affect? as its writing directly to the D:\FTP folder and not over UNC?

I will report my findings once the 2TB of data is copied off.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:56 AM
  • OK, below is the situation after moving some files, you can see ive moved them to Disk 4.

I checked under c:\fs\... etc and some files still remained, so deleted them. and this is the results.

I will now, transfer the files back from Disk 4 (E: Drive), transfer it to the unc paths.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Same bloody issue. Why is it doing this !!!! This is stupid

Can Someone help please?

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:55 PM
  • OK Finally worked out what was going wrong !!!

It doesnt matter if you Copy to D:\Shares\ folders, the problem is with the shares themselves.

YOU MUST make sure you create the share Via the WHS Console, and NOT use Computer Management to make the shares.

Makes sense really, in a wierd kinda way. :)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:34 PM