Custom "Incoming Call" sound repeats over and over RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I have a very strange problem. I wanted to change the default ringing sound of Office Communicator 2007. So I converted a favourite song from .mp3 to .wav. Then went to Control Panel -> Sounds and under the Office Communicator group selected Incoming Call t,hen browsed to my .wav file and assigned it. When I click the Test button I can hear the entire song.

But when someone calls me to my Communicator, the following happens:

1. The song starts (which is the expected behaviour)
    2. After 5 seconds the song starts again from the begining and the previously started continues playing
    3. After 5 more seconds the song again starts from the begining and the previously started (2 times) continue to play

So I end up the same song playing several times over itself with difference of about 5 seconds...

Does anybody know hot to set a custom ringing sound/melody which plays entire before starting over?

Thanks in advance,

Lubo.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:44 PM

All replies

• Am I the only one who experience that?

Lubo.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:48 AM
  • I had the same experience Lubo.  Had an "old school" telephone ring I wanted for incoming OCS calls.  The wav file was about 18 seconds long.  After about 5 seconds the ring sound started to loop over itself - just as you described.  When I looked at the default sound file assigned to Incoming Call (COMMUNICATOR_ringing.wav), I noticed it was only 4 seconds long.  So I trimmed my custom sound file to 4 seconds and it now sounds right because OCS is just repeating/looping that brief sound file.  Can't explain why OCS wants to loop the associated sound file and doesn't help you if you want a full song to play (like on a cell phone).  But if you look at all the sound files for OCS (Program Files/Microsoft Office Communicator), they are all very short files (less than 4 seconds), so apparently they are all built to be repeated/looped.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:39 AM