wi-fi stuff RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm using the Samsung Omnia but unfortunately I having difficulty to connect with my wireless network at home.It detects the networks but never gets connected.Please advice.Thanks.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:17 AM

Answers

•  

If you are running heavy security on your wireless try relaxing it a bit and see if you can connect.  Some devices are only 802.11b capable and if you have a 802.11b/g router it may see the signal but can't connect if the router is set to "G" only.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Mim_1910: welcome to Microsoft Forums

Are you sure you are connecting to the router on which you have permission. Some are protected with MAC security. May be you are not having the MAC address registered with the router. Secondly, as said above, try relaxing the security level a bit and see if you can connect now

edit: You too posted the reply at the time I posted one. Regarding credit, most of the public wifi require you to purchase credit from them either by logging into their wifi network and paying them from there(whenever you open any website, you get redirected to their's as you don't have the credits required to browse the web).
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:47 AM
  •  

No credit is needed to connect to wireless at your house.  If you are connecting to a fee based wifi service like boingo, at&t, etc then you would need to have credit.  For other free access locations you don't need anything.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:51 AM

All replies

•  

If you are running heavy security on your wireless try relaxing it a bit and see if you can connect.  Some devices are only 802.11b capable and if you have a 802.11b/g router it may see the signal but can't connect if the router is set to "G" only.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Thanks for answering to my question.But there was one thing I would like to know is: should I have credit on my phone to connect to a wireless network or I can do it just like that, even without having credit.?!
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:45 AM
  • Mim_1910: welcome to Microsoft Forums

Are you sure you are connecting to the router on which you have permission. Some are protected with MAC security. May be you are not having the MAC address registered with the router. Secondly, as said above, try relaxing the security level a bit and see if you can connect now

edit: You too posted the reply at the time I posted one. Regarding credit, most of the public wifi require you to purchase credit from them either by logging into their wifi network and paying them from there(whenever you open any website, you get redirected to their's as you don't have the credits required to browse the web).
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:47 AM
  •  

No credit is needed to connect to wireless at your house.  If you are connecting to a fee based wifi service like boingo, at&t, etc then you would need to have credit.  For other free access locations you don't need anything.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:51 AM