Have a valid product Key (OEM), but reinstalling giving issues-- change Key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a valid XP pro product key sticker on the bottom of my Lenovo laptop.  I have decided to do a reinstall on a separate hard drive (same computer) with an XP disk provided to me by the computer department at my business school  During the install, I typed in my LEGIT key, yet it was denied.  Needing to use my computer and grossly inconvienced at this point, I found a key on the net that allowed install, but of course is not allowing full activation to get updates etc.  Is it possible to change the key now that windows is installed to the LEGIT key.  I'm fine doing Regedit changes but read on one procedure that this may be an OEM vs. Retail key issue, and it won't work.  

I certainly do not want my LEGIT windows deactivated.  
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hello placid8,

You are correct. To my knowledge, an OEM key (the one from the COA sticker on the laptop is an OEM key) will not work in Retail software.  I don't know what type of software you received from the computer dept but if it is Retail, it will (most likely) not work.  This is not a question of Legit or not Legit, XP is just not specifically designed to do that. So, if you wish to reinstall XP using that OEM product key and be sure that it will work, I highly recommend using OEM software to do so. 

Further, laptops are more likely to have propritory hardware and may not run correctly (or at all) if the Driver that were designed for it, are not present. It is recommended (not by Microsoft, but by most laptop manufacturers that I have seen) that you use the OEM software that was designed for that model of computer. This is, of course, up to you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hello placid8,

You are correct. To my knowledge, an OEM key (the one from the COA sticker on the laptop is an OEM key) will not work in Retail software.  I don't know what type of software you received from the computer dept but if it is Retail, it will (most likely) not work.  This is not a question of Legit or not Legit, XP is just not specifically designed to do that. So, if you wish to reinstall XP using that OEM product key and be sure that it will work, I highly recommend using OEM software to do so. 

Further, laptops are more likely to have propritory hardware and may not run correctly (or at all) if the Driver that were designed for it, are not present. It is recommended (not by Microsoft, but by most laptop manufacturers that I have seen) that you use the OEM software that was designed for that model of computer. This is, of course, up to you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Hello Darin,

Thank you for the response.  At this point the OS (SP2) is installed and running better than ever and now fully customized, etc.  I couldn't be happier and would rather not do another install for some time if possible.  BTW, I've already selectively installed drivers for the proprietary hardware I wanted to maintain with no issue.  Some questions:

1) Will XP deactivate if not authenticated?
    2) Will my key work with any OEM disk work or does it have to be Lenovo OEM?
    3) Now that I think about it, I don't believe Lenovo distributes XP disks, only a 'rescue and recovery' disk -- Is that likely the same?
    4) Can critical updates be downloaded / installed outide windows update?
    5) Are there any other negative ramifications of continuing with my current setup for the forseeable future?
    6) Am I eligible for an 'Upgrade' version of Vista with an 'invalid' product key? 
    7) Does having only an OEM XP key mean I need to purchase Vista OEM?

Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hi placid8,

OK, wow, I missed the part where you said you downloaded a key off the internet.  

I do understand the realities of your situation, but my purpose here in the forums is to help user to get their Windows fully Genuine.   Even though you have a Genuine Product Key on the COA sticker and are licensed to use XP (with that coa key) on that Lenovo computer, I really can not offer advice to you on how to continue using a copy of Windows that is using a non-genuine Product Key downloaded off the internet. 

I recommend trying the Product Key Update tool (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx) to replace the downloaded key with the Genuine Product Key from the COA sticker.

But, if that doesn't work, I am forced to recommend that you obtain OEM Software (perferably from Lenovo and yes the 'rescue and recovery' disk is what you would need) and reinstalling XP using your Genuine OEM COA Product Key (you can, of course, ignore my recommendation, but I do have to make it)

I can tell you:

2) Your COA key is likely to work in any OEM software, but it's desinged to work in the Lenovo software

3) No Large computer company sends the full install discs with their computers that come with Windows Pre-install. They send software simillare to the Lenovo 'rescue and recovery' software.  It is an Image (think of taking a picture of the hard drive and all it's data, when it was first installed at the factory) The Recovery software just applys that Image on the hard drive. The end result is that the computer is returned (software wise) back to how it was when it first left the factory.

4) That you will continue to receive Critical level updated thru XP's Automatic Updates. We don't want anyone to go with a vulnerable OS, regardles of it's Genuine status.

I hope that helps,
    darin MS

Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:42 PM