none
MCSE Exam Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a requirement that my team has to complete their MCSE certification. ( we are not looking for windows server 2008 MCITP as of now )

So i have went through the official microsoft link and it says MCSE certification is still valid and only few of the exams are retired.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2 and i saw at the end of the page "<sup>1</sup>This exam retires on October 31, 2010."

When i browse through then i found the following exams are getting retired

TS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops

Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004

Designing a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Organization

Planning, Deploying, and Managing an Enterprise Project Management Solution

TS: Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005 – Implementing, Managing, and Troubleshooting 

Planning, Deploying, and Managing Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 

TS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops

Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 

Designing a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Organization

Planning, Deploying, and Managing Enterprise Project Management Solutions

TS: Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005 – Implementing, Managing, and Troubleshooting 

Designing, Managing, and Maintaining Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003

===========================================================================================

But rest of them are not getting retired

Question :

a) can we still continue taking MCSE certification with all the above exceptions / exclusions taken care of ?

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:06 AM

Answers

• The obvious answer is yes.  Although the above exams are being retired October 31, 2010, there are quite a number of the elective exams that are not.  If the members of your team take/pass one of the above elective exams before October 31, 2010, it will count towards the MCSE.  If they're not ready to take the elective exam until after October 31, 2010, then they'll have to choose one of the exams that wasn't retired.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Sainath,

A. No. Your certifications and specializations will hold their value in the marketplace as long as there is a need for IT professionals with skills in working with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. The Windows Server 2008 certifications are intended for IT professionals who are using or will be using Windows Server 2008; there is no requirement to upgrade to them.

A. No, not exactly. The MCITP on Windows Server 2008 requires a new skill set—in some cases, a more robust one—that differs from the skill sets needed for MCSE certifications. MCITP: Enterprise Administrator maps to an actual job role profile, whereas the MCSE certification does not. The latter combines technology and job skills.

A. Yes. If you have already taken a specialization requirement to satisfy your MCSE elective requirement, you are one step closer to achieving your specialization.

A. No. The MCSE and MCSA certifications are not being replaced. There is no change to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 tracks and certifications. The MCTS and MCITP certifications are for Windows Server 2008.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:50 AM
  • I would like to piggy back on the previous post by saying that several enterprise companies will be using NT 4, 2000 and 2003 for many years to come and your knowledge in those areas is valuable no question about it. 2008 is so new and clunky that most are staying away from it.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:28 PM

All replies

• The obvious answer is yes.  Although the above exams are being retired October 31, 2010, there are quite a number of the elective exams that are not.  If the members of your team take/pass one of the above elective exams before October 31, 2010, it will count towards the MCSE.  If they're not ready to take the elective exam until after October 31, 2010, then they'll have to choose one of the exams that wasn't retired.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:27 PM
    Answerer
  • the only problem i see it that is if your team wanted to do the + messaging specialization. the 2 tests required for it will be retired. but if there is no need to specialize on exchange server 2003 then i wouldn't worry about it. 
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Hi Sainath,

A. No. Your certifications and specializations will hold their value in the marketplace as long as there is a need for IT professionals with skills in working with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. The Windows Server 2008 certifications are intended for IT professionals who are using or will be using Windows Server 2008; there is no requirement to upgrade to them.

A. No, not exactly. The MCITP on Windows Server 2008 requires a new skill set—in some cases, a more robust one—that differs from the skill sets needed for MCSE certifications. MCITP: Enterprise Administrator maps to an actual job role profile, whereas the MCSE certification does not. The latter combines technology and job skills.

A. Yes. If you have already taken a specialization requirement to satisfy your MCSE elective requirement, you are one step closer to achieving your specialization.

A. No. The MCSE and MCSA certifications are not being replaced. There is no change to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 tracks and certifications. The MCTS and MCITP certifications are for Windows Server 2008.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:50 AM
  • I would like to piggy back on the previous post by saying that several enterprise companies will be using NT 4, 2000 and 2003 for many years to come and your knowledge in those areas is valuable no question about it. 2008 is so new and clunky that most are staying away from it.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:28 PM