reinstall hung, now reinstall option unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• Had some problems with my WHS, that once again needed a server re-install to fix - sigh.

I began a server re-install with my original WHS DVD.

As the re-installation reboots for the first time, it gives the message "copying files - this msy take a few minutes"

After 30 minutes hung at 30% on the same file being copied, I shut down the WHS and decided to try again.

This time - the "reinstall" option was NOT available. Of course, I did not proceed with a new install, as that would wipe my data.

Yes, I have all 4 drives in legacy IDE mode in the bios
    Yes, the system drive is shown first as drive 0, and the 3 data drives all show up in the installer

Why do I not see the re-install option? Argh. .

Note that if I now reboot from hard drive, the setup process starts from the mid-point - the blue screen in text mode, a leftover from the first failed reinstallation.  I did not let the installer continue from this point, as it was unclear whether doing so would cause all my drives to be erased, or if the installation would continue in 'reinstallation'' mode.

I do NOT have enough alternate hard drive capacity, to grab all data from the DE folders, to another drive. Doing so would also be a major PITA - the very sort of thing a backup solution is supposed to prevent.

Ironic and rather infuriating that WHS has caused me more grief over the last couple years, than all my other PCs put together. I'm seriously considering installing Vista over the WHS partition as another poster did, or just replacing WHS with a more tradition VASTLY more reliable NAS with RAID duplication.  I'm feeling rather fed up with, and disillusioned with WHS these days. it's a great product when everything works, but a complete nightmare when something goes wrong. In the end, I will probably use a hybrid solution - keep WHS for PC backups only, and use a more traditional network drive NAS RAID solution - something dependable, unlike WHS.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:30 AM

Answers

• Thanks Kariya

you got me onto the right track..... although I found it is not quite that simple

I transplanted my WHS into a new case. After re-connecting everything, the drives may not have been plugged into their original SATA slots. (I am using native IDE mode to get around WHS' indefensible lack of native SATA support).

I had to first use my vista computer, to completely remove all partitions from the new system drive.

I then had to fiddle around with my SATA connections until the new system drive was likely attached to the same SATA connector as before.  Only then did I finally get the server re-install option. With 6 sata ports and only 4 drives - what are the odds, I would have plugged them all back into the same connector as before?

Of course, no such explanation is given during the install process - and this is supposed to be a backup system targeted at the average home user......... sigh......
    • Marked as answer by dpkform Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:46 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:47 PM

All replies

• Had some problems with my WHS, that once again needed a server re-install to fix - sigh.

I began a server re-install with my original WHS DVD.

As the re-installation reboots for the first time, it gives the message "copying files - this msy take a few minutes"

After 30 minutes hung at 30% on the same file being copied, I shut down the WHS and decided to try again.

This time - the "reinstall" option was NOT available. Of course, I did not proceed with a new install, as that would wipe my data.

Yes, I have all 4 drives in legacy IDE mode in the bios
    Yes, the system drive is shown first as drive 0, and the 3 data drives all show up in the installer

Why do I not see the re-install option? Argh. .

Note that if I now reboot from hard drive, the setup process starts from the mid-point - the blue screen in text mode, a leftover from the first failed reinstallation.  I did not let the installer continue from this point, as it was unclear whether doing so would cause all my drives to be erased, or if the installation would continue in 'reinstallation'' mode.

I do NOT have enough alternate hard drive capacity, to grab all data from the DE folders, to another drive. Doing so would also be a major PITA - the very sort of thing a backup solution is supposed to prevent.

Ironic and rather infuriating that WHS has caused me more grief over the last couple years, than all my other PCs put together. I'm seriously considering installing Vista over the WHS partition as another poster did, or just replacing WHS with a more tradition VASTLY more reliable NAS with RAID duplication.  I'm feeling rather fed up with, and disillusioned with WHS these days. it's a great product when everything works, but a complete nightmare when something goes wrong. In the end, I will probably use a hybrid solution - keep WHS for PC backups only, and use a more traditional network drive NAS RAID solution - something dependable, unlike WHS.
    You need to completely eliminate the 20 GB OS partition on your primary drive in order to get Server Reinstallation as an option again.  You can delete the partition (or use diskpart) to get rid of it by hooking up the primary drive to another computer.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Thanks Kariya

you got me onto the right track..... although I found it is not quite that simple

I transplanted my WHS into a new case. After re-connecting everything, the drives may not have been plugged into their original SATA slots. (I am using native IDE mode to get around WHS' indefensible lack of native SATA support).

I had to first use my vista computer, to completely remove all partitions from the new system drive.

I then had to fiddle around with my SATA connections until the new system drive was likely attached to the same SATA connector as before.  Only then did I finally get the server re-install option. With 6 sata ports and only 4 drives - what are the odds, I would have plugged them all back into the same connector as before?

Of course, no such explanation is given during the install process - and this is supposed to be a backup system targeted at the average home user......... sigh......
    • Marked as answer by dpkform Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:46 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Thanks Kariya

There are no SATA drivers because Server 2003 (the underlying OS) didn't have SATA drivers, and that image is sealed.  The WHS team has no control over that.

No, the pre-built servers are supposed to be a backup system targeted at the average home user.  When you go with the DIY OEM (not retail, as there is no retail version of WHS) license, you are supposed to know how to fix problems such as that.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:50 AM