none
Too many 'unexpected errors' lately RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I used to have 'Unexpected error' often. But this week I'm getting this error on almost every second reply I'm trying to add. It takes ~15+ seconds before showing this message. Pressing the submit button immediately the second time usually results in that reply being submitted.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• The whole thread is about problem with submitting. Last few days and today in the morning through afternoon the performance was awful, almost each submit took ~15-30 seconds often resulting in unexpected errors. Right now the performance and response seems to be better, but I did get that problem answering the post in that thread quite recently.

Norkk issue is a bit different, although I also get errors when I vote quite often. The same 'Unexpected error'.

BTW, this response got submitted quickly enough, in ~3 seconds.

Also, Bryant already responded in this and other thread on this topic, so I hope that this problem is currently looked at and may be a fix is already issued.

My blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:49 AM

All replies

• I get errors infrequently, but performance has gotten worse recently. When I open a thread or Wiki article the display frequently locks up. Usually it frees up after awhile or after I refresh. Sometimes my comments or edits are not saved. This morning I had to close IE and start over.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:48 PM
  • I am using Google Chrome to work with the forums.

BTW, I counted to 20 before that reply got submitted.

My blog

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:51 PM
  • The performance of the forums is definitely worse than it used to be and I continue to get these errors very often :(

My blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Agree that performance is worse. 10+ seconds to post a a reply is annoying.  So is the frequesncy of the "Unexpected error" message.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Can I please get a reply from forum's Admins? This is going to the point to make the work with the forums a hard experience.

My blog

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:18 PM
  • I get too many errors also. Windows 7, IE 9.

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, October 15, 2012 4:04 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 3:26 PM
  • I already lost my hope to any efforts to solve that. I'm seeing this error every time, and the most of cases it happens because my votes don't appear as Already Voted(but i already vote that), when i try to vote again i got this one.

Web Developer

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:20 PM
  • I'm sorry that you are getting this error so often. Are you seeing this happen with general replies or is it more frequent in certain Forums?
    Monday, October 15, 2012 10:23 PM
  • I am getting this error every time I reply.

My blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:10 AM
  • I just had a ton of troubles with the TechNet branding.. loading, popups, etc.. MSDN is good though. Zero "Unexpected Error" popups. What branding were you using?

By the way, when the page renders but the toolbar doesn't display in my reply, that's the only time I get "Unexpected Error" popups when I click Submit. Otherwise they just happen with voting. So if you don't see the toolbar display, don't bother typing. Try refreshing, another branding, another browser, etc. Just a workaround (not a fix).

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:21 AM
    Owner
  • I get these errors in MSDN. Also, I just got it a minute ago, but this time the error was at the bottom of the message and in red.

My blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:27 AM
  • So what's the bug here? Let me take a stab at it...

"Often (1 out of every 2 or 3) times the thread displays with no votes on it (even though there are votes). If you vote for something you already voted for (but don't know because the votes don't display), then you get the Unexpected Error popup. The system thinks you're trying to vote for it multiple times (which you are, but you don't know that, and obviously, it shouldn't be an option)."

So that bugs already submitted. I can ask for a status on it if you want.

But Naomi's bug seems to be specific about replying. Let me try that one...

"When you click "Submit", you sometimes get an Unexpected Error and cannot submit what you wrote."

I can submit that second issue as the bug. Can someone verify it's accurate? How common is this?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:38 AM
    Owner
  • The whole thread is about problem with submitting. Last few days and today in the morning through afternoon the performance was awful, almost each submit took ~15-30 seconds often resulting in unexpected errors. Right now the performance and response seems to be better, but I did get that problem answering the post in that thread quite recently.

Norkk issue is a bit different, although I also get errors when I vote quite often. The same 'Unexpected error'.

BTW, this response got submitted quickly enough, in ~3 seconds.

Also, Bryant already responded in this and other thread on this topic, so I hope that this problem is currently looked at and may be a fix is already issued.

My blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:49 AM
  • The performance again it almost unbearable. Each operation, opening forum, thread, etc. takes ~20+ seconds.

My blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:27 PM
  • The problems seem dependent on the time of day.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Agree.

My blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Any help or ETA for fixing this problem? It is really hard working in the forums lately due to this error and another one (most likely related) with marking answers / voting helpful posts. When there is no history of the mark, the person who's reply was marked, doesn't get deserved points.

My blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:03 PM