locked
SharedServiceHost.exe using a whole core of my W7 system RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm running W7 32-bit on a 2-core Lenovo A58, with all updates applied. It's linked by a gigabit router to WHS2011 on a 64-bit HP microserver, again with all offered updates applied.

    Everything seems to work, but SharedServiceHost.exe is taking between 48% and 50% of the CPU -- effectively a whole core! It's only using 5MB of memory, so the reported memory-gobbling problem does not apply.

    Any ideas on what's going on, and how to fix it?

    Saturday, July 6, 2013 7:45 PM

Answers

  • Thank you. Yes indeed, one of my first actions was to restart the W7 client that was suffering the CPU problem, but it didn't resolve the issue. However, it did go away when I rebooted the WHS2011 server.

    At that point, Windows Update finished installing a server update that needed a reboot (strange, as it usually happens automatically). The fixes were KB2814124, 915517, 2592687 and 2636927.

    The problem hasn't (so far) returned, so I guess the half-installed update might have been the cause. Unfortunately, I didn't think to check the server's CPU usage, so don't know if it was locked in a communication loop with SharedServiceHost.exe on the client.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:36 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 9:33 AM

All replies

  • Try this question on the correct forum - start at answers.microsoft.com

    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

    Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:11 PM
  • This IS the correct forum -- the offending module is part of the WHS2011 connector.

    Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:45 AM
  • Oops - apologies. Have you tried a reboot?

    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

    Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Thank you. Yes indeed, one of my first actions was to restart the W7 client that was suffering the CPU problem, but it didn't resolve the issue. However, it did go away when I rebooted the WHS2011 server.

    At that point, Windows Update finished installing a server update that needed a reboot (strange, as it usually happens automatically). The fixes were KB2814124, 915517, 2592687 and 2636927.

    The problem hasn't (so far) returned, so I guess the half-installed update might have been the cause. Unfortunately, I didn't think to check the server's CPU usage, so don't know if it was locked in a communication loop with SharedServiceHost.exe on the client.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:36 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Let's hope it remains that way!

    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

    Monday, July 8, 2013 12:45 PM