Client Backup Process RRS feed

• Question

• The client backup process is initiated on the Client machine - I had assumed that this was using a Task Scheduler Task (Microsoft, Windows Server, Backup). This task exists on my clients but shows up as never having run on machines which have autimatically backed up! The time of the actual backups is generally after the Task Schduler task was due to run but on one occasion it was before! Can anyone clarify my understanding of this?

A secondary question relates to automatic backups and waking the client from sleep. During the Connector installation you have the optionof selecting to wake up the client for a backup. If you don't select this option initially I can not see a way of changing it afterwards. I guess if I resolve my understanding above I may be able to change it in Task Scheduler or perhaps a Connector reinstall would work? Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:00 PM

All replies

• > The client backup process is initiated on the Client machine
    Says who?

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Me, based on knowlege gained on this forum and having a basic understanding of computers. If not, how could a wireless computer (which does not respond to WOL) ever be woken up for a backup? Are you suggesting that I am wrong?
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:52 PM
  • On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 16:52:54 +0000, PhilipJH wrote:

Me, based on knowlege gained on this forum and having a basic understanding of computers. If not, how could a wireless computer (which does not respond to WOL) ever be woken up for a backup? Are you suggesting that I am wrong?

The task you mentioned in your OP is what wakes a computer for backup if
    required, if not then backups are initiated by the server, not the clients.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Kiss your keyboard goodbye!

Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Paul

Thanks for your reply. How does a server wake up a wireless client or are you saying the client initiates the backup only if the client is not asleep? In my case, the client is always asleep (as am I) when backups occur so the client task should have run but it is showing under "Last Run" as "Never".
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:54 PM
  • The server initiates the backup, you can have the server wake a client up to start a scheduled back up, I never choose this option, so I'm not sure how it works. I'm sure it does use WOL.  If the client is not available for backup, the server will then initiate a backup as soon as it detects the client is awake.  That's the way vail use to work for me.
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 3:58 PM