Being treated as a guest RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to access files on my Windows Home Server via network mapped drives through my laptop. However, I get "access denied" on a couple of the folders.  The folders have been set up as shared.  I can get at the folders with no problem on my desktop.   Through some checking it appears that my laptop is being treated as a guest account instead of a valid user.  Can't figure out why!  Both my laptop and desktop require me to log on to them and both use the same user ID and password.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Terry 
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• Never mind.  Figured it out.  Apparently the user id's were not the same.  On the laptop I used my first and last name as the user id but was only required to use my first name as the login.  The desktop and server only used my first name.    I have now changed them all to have better security across the board.

Terry
    • Marked as answer by tlwarnke Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:48 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Oh, I forgot to state that both the laptop and desktop have XP Pro on them.

Terry
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Never mind.  Figured it out.  Apparently the user id's were not the same.  On the laptop I used my first and last name as the user id but was only required to use my first name as the login.  The desktop and server only used my first name.    I have now changed them all to have better security across the board.

Terry
    • Marked as answer by tlwarnke Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:48 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:48 PM