Merge columns in view - Dynamics CRM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! 

I'd like to merge columns in a view. Here's the reason: I've 4 entities in my veterinary CRM: appointment, pet, dog and cat. Appointment contains a date, a client and a pet. I'd like in my view to display the name of the pet. The only solution I found was to create 2 columns for this. One with the cat's name and the other with the dog's name. So when the pet is a cat, the column 1 will display his name and the 2nd will be empty.

But this isn't a correct solution because in reality there's 20 species of pets! So I always have 19 empty columns. So what I would like to do is either don't display a column if it's empty or to merge the 20 columns in one.

I hope I was clear :) Thanks for reading this! 

PS: Sorry if my post is at the wrong place, couldn't find anywhere to post about dynamics.
    Monday, March 6, 2017 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Ayubu,

Unfortunately you can't merge columns in a view. Ideally what you should have done is create an entity named Pet Type or something simila. There you create your twenty odd species including cats and dogs. Then create a 1:N relationship between this entity and the Appointment. So the appointment entity form will have a lookup to this Pet type entity where you can select either a dog or cat or any other pet. (You need to add this lookup field manually in the form designer) This way you don't need to show 20 columns in your view or merge. Simply add the pet type column to the appointment view. It will dynamically show the pet type. Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Sachith Chandrasiri

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:21 AM