Print Server RRS feed

• Question

• Can a Print Server be added to WHS to allow both 64 & 32 bit Windows Vista and Windows XP PCs on the network to have access? The Printer can be attached to the WHS PC via the parallel port.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:51 AM

Answers

• Vince, WHS is capable of sharing out connected USB printers, so I would assume that you could share a parallel printer as well.

You will need drivers for the printer that work on Windows 2003 Server, and you will need drivers for your home PCs as well. WHS might have drivers for some common business-class equipment, but probably not many consumer-level printers.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:04 PM
  • Making WHS a printserver is quite easy, although the functionality to add printers to the server needs to be in the control center rather than through remote login.

Here is a brief rundown of the steps:

-Find out if your printer has windows 2003 or xp drivers (2003 drivers preferred).

-Remote desktop connection in to the server and install the printer and drivers. (I used the xp printer driver package for my canon s600 printer).

-Close the desktop connection.

-On the target computer, open the shared folders (folder) that the WHS connection application sticks on your desktop.

-Double click on the printer shown there and install it on the target computer.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:15 PM

All replies

• Vince, WHS is capable of sharing out connected USB printers, so I would assume that you could share a parallel printer as well.

You will need drivers for the printer that work on Windows 2003 Server, and you will need drivers for your home PCs as well. WHS might have drivers for some common business-class equipment, but probably not many consumer-level printers.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:04 PM
  • Making WHS a printserver is quite easy, although the functionality to add printers to the server needs to be in the control center rather than through remote login.

Here is a brief rundown of the steps:

-Find out if your printer has windows 2003 or xp drivers (2003 drivers preferred).

-Remote desktop connection in to the server and install the printer and drivers. (I used the xp printer driver package for my canon s600 printer).

-Close the desktop connection.

-On the target computer, open the shared folders (folder) that the WHS connection application sticks on your desktop.

-Double click on the printer shown there and install it on the target computer.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:15 PM
  • I have to say all i did was plug the printers in, a hp psc750 and a hp laserjet 5p, turned them on, opened up my shares on the desktop and they were installed. Maybe i was just lucky :)
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Some printers support 'silent mode' drivers in that, if you plug them into Windows Home Server the printer will automatically be discovered and shared out.  The key word in that last statement is 'some' - as there are a lot of printers that want to pop up a dialog box asking what model of a given printer you have.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 4:02 PM
  • hello,

i didnt know if its a problem with Vista or WHS:

i connect my Samsung CLP500 (with w2k3 device drivers) to the WHS (with USB), activate sharing and the PC from my wife (WinXP) can connect and install the drivers, all works fine

if i connect from my Vista Ultimate to the WHS, i found the printer (only with search networkprinter) and on connect, my Vista tells out of memory (2 gig of RAM). the Printer has own Vista drivers. tonight i will test it to connect the printer to the PC fom my Wife and run a x-Test.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:56 AM
  • I tried the instructions posted by Lyme, but they didn't quite work for me.

First of all, I am using a Samsung ML-2010 laser printer.  When I plugged it into the USB port of my WHS, it recognized the printer, but the drivers were not preinstalled with the WHS operating system.  I had to install the Win 98/ME/2K/XP drivers in order for it to be recognized (Win 2003 Server drivers were not available).

The printer was finally recognized, and then I was able to successfully print a test page from the WHS.  However, when I went to one of my home computers, it did not show up in the Shared Folders.  I tried rebooting the WHS, but that still did not work.  I finally resorted to manually sharing the printer within WHS, and then it showed up in my Shared Folders on the home computer.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:59 AM
  •  Clipper453 wrote:

I finally resorted to manually sharing the printer within WHS, and then it showed up in my Shared Folders on the home computer.

Interesting, when I installed my canon s600 it was automatically shared. Either way the initial setup of a printer on the WHS box seems to be a little more complicated than it should be. Especially with the notice that pops up each time you remote desktop into the WHS box about not needing to do so. However I'm not sure there is a practical way around that limitation.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:27 PM
  • It worked the same for me.

And I agree with you is should be easier-maybe we should be able to launch the "Add Printer Wizard" from the Console.

There should an available printer  folder on the" Console Shared Folder " also.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:04 PM
  •  Clipper453 wrote:

I tried the instructions posted by Lyme, but they didn't quite work for me.

First of all, I am using a Samsung ML-2010 laser printer.  When I plugged it into the USB port of my WHS, it recognized the printer, but the drivers were not preinstalled with the WHS operating system.  I had to install the Win 98/ME/2K/XP drivers in order for it to be recognized (Win 2003 Server drivers were not available).

The printer was finally recognized, and then I was able to successfully print a test page from the WHS.  However, when I went to one of my home computers, it did not show up in the Shared Folders.  I tried rebooting the WHS, but that still did not work.  I finally resorted to manually sharing the printer within WHS, and then it showed up in my Shared Folders on the home computer.

I have not yet attached my printers to WHS (maybe this afternoon...) but you might want to check your installation on WHS.  You may have to manually share the printer given that the drivers weren't "native" WHS.  Do this by right clicking the priner icon and select "sharing", select share this printer, and give it a name.

Also, I have not seen any indication of anything but USB printers being supported.  If you have a parallel or serial printer there are cable adaptors available at stores like Office Depot to connect them to USB ports that work well.

Hope this helps

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Can someone please help me?  I also have tried everything in this forum

Windows Home Server does not recognize any of my USB printers when i plug them in.  I've got a samsung ml-2510, an epson photo 820, and a brother mfc-210C

i can't install the printer driver either- it just gives me an error message when i click on the exe file (XP driver)

is my printer just not supported?

Thanks

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Sometimes they will install if you set the Compatibility Mode to XP. (Search on how to do this, there are many resources on this). If not, then you will need Windows Server 2003 drivers.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 3:46 PM
  •  JPRC wrote:

Can someone please help me?  I also have tried everything in this forum

Windows Home Server does not recognize any of my USB printers when i plug them in.  I've got a samsung ml-2510, an epson photo 820, and a brother mfc-210C

i can't install the printer driver either- it just gives me an error message when i click on the exe file (XP driver)

is my printer just not supported?

Thanks

I've got an Epson Stylus Photo R200 working just fine on mine.  I used the WinXP driver.  I copied the .exe file to a share on my server, then used Remote Desktop to connect to the server.  I copied the .exe from the shared folder to a temp folder on the C: (sys) paritition.  When I tried to execute it I also got an error, but I right clicked it and found and option to "Unblock" the file.  After that it worked perfectly.  I shared the printer, and much to my surpise I didn't even have to search for it on my wife's laptop, it literally just showed up in the list of available printers.

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:05 PM