none
backup linux samba shares RRS feed

• Question

• how  do I get WHS to back up my linux boxes? I assume it will only back up my SMB shares. Fair enough, but how do I make them visible to the WHS?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:05 AM

Answers

• The Windows Home Server connector contains the client components of the backup engine; that connector is specific to Windows operating systems. You can create a script which will back up anything you want (into a tarball, I assume) and then copy that into the Windows Home Server shares somewhere, but there is nothing built into Windows Home Server to interface with, or automatically back up, Linux.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:41 PM

All replies

• how  do I get WHS to back up my linux boxes? I assume it will only back up my SMB shares. Fair enough, but how do I make them visible to the WHS?
    I doubt it will "backup" those boxes at all (since the backups occur through the Connector software).  However, you could probably set up a copy tool such as RoboCopy to periodically copy the data from your Linux machines to a share on the server.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:58 AM
  • The Windows Home Server connector contains the client components of the backup engine; that connector is specific to Windows operating systems. You can create a script which will back up anything you want (into a tarball, I assume) and then copy that into the Windows Home Server shares somewhere, but there is nothing built into Windows Home Server to interface with, or automatically back up, Linux.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:41 PM
  • OK I can handle that, I guessed it would might be along these lines, just kinda hoped that the Samba shares that the XP boxes see might be seen the same way by the WHS box.
    Thanks for clarifying :-)
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:11 PM
  • There's a lot of mildly technical documentation of the product on the Windows Home Server microsite . You might want to read up...
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:03 AM