No harddrives are shown in dashboard - WHS Vail RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

when i go to the harddrives and shared folders tab, there are no harddrives listed and when i try to create a shared folder i get the error message, that the server storage status couldn't be called up. (not exactly what it says there, but this is a rough translation, as i use vail in german...)

i hope you can help me.

many thanks in advance,

dominic

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:22 AM question regarding Vail beta (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:03 AM

Answers

• Could you please file a bug report on Connect? Include logs from your server, collected with the Vail log collector tool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:45 PM

All replies

• hi everyone,

when i go to the harddrives and shared folders tab, there are no harddrives listed and when i try to create a shared folder i get the error message, that the server storage status couldn't be called up. (not exactly what it says there, but this is a rough translation, as i use vail in german...)

i hope you can help me.

many thanks in advance,

dominic 

Have you connected other drives to the server?  Did you remove the primary drive (the one with the OS on it) from the storage pool?
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:29 AM
  • no, i did neither of these things. well, i actually had an external drive connected, but disconnecting it didn't help either...
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Could you please file a bug report on Connect? Include logs from your server, collected with the Vail log collector tool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:45 PM
  • I had the same problem. I have tried "Vail on two hardware platforms. On the first no problem. On the second, I had the problem with no drives or shared folders shown in the dashboard, even though they were all present and correct in Explorer. It was also not possible to create user accounts because the wizzard asks which shares the user should have access to and, since no shares are visible to Vail... I logged this bug on Connect, with the logs. At least two other people have seen the same bug.

After a complete re-install, the shares and hard drives were shown but they went again after a reboot due to updates. One further complete re-install and they are shown, have survived reboots and I have user accounts set up. It seem sto me there is some marginal aspect to the install routine but hey, it's Beta software.....

A couple of comments on Vail. Functionality is not really different from WHS and, due to the lack of add ins as yet, in some ways it's inferior. The engine here is much better however. On literally THE SAME hardware as WHS, Vail supports file transfer speeds that are twice as fast as WHS and that's a great benefit when dealing with big volumes of photos and videos. It's also clear, and no surprises for this one given he pedigree (Server 2008 R2) that Vail will offer most when used with Windows 7 clients through Homegroup for example.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:16 AM
  • I had the same problem. I have tried "Vail on two hardware platforms. On the first no problem. On the second, I had the problem with no drives or shared folders shown in the dashboard, even though they were all present and correct in Explorer. It was also not possible to create user accounts because the wizzard asks which shares the user should have access to and, since no shares are visible to Vail... I logged this bug on Connect, with the logs. At least two other people have seen the same bug.

After a complete re-install, the shares and hard drives were shown but they went again after a reboot due to updates. One further complete re-install and they are shown, have survived reboots and I have user accounts set up. It seem sto me there is some marginal aspect to the install routine but hey, it's Beta software.....

A couple of comments on Vail. Functionality is not really different from WHS and, due to the lack of add ins as yet, in some ways it's inferior. The engine here is much better however. On literally THE SAME hardware as WHS, Vail supports file transfer speeds that are twice as fast as WHS and that's a great benefit when dealing with big volumes of photos and videos. It's also clear, and no surprises for this one given he pedigree (Server 2008 R2) that Vail will offer most when used with Windows 7 clients through Homegroup for example.

ok, i will try it out now, as i already installed vail for the second time, so this is gonging to be my third try. hope it works now...
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Same problem after update today.

No access from clients to dashboard or launchpad. Share Folders login from clients goes fine and work.

Log on the server direct goes fine but the dashboard is clean, without users or drives.

Everything looks allright when I go to start>administrative tool>server manager. Everything is there incl drive users and clients.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 11:47 AM
  • ,I had the same problem. I have tried "Vail on two hardware platforms. On the first no problem. On the second, I had the problem with no drives or shared folders shown in the dashboard, even though they were all present and correct in Explorer. It was also not possible to create user accounts because the wizzard asks which shares the user should have access to and, since no shares are visible to Vail... I logged this bug on Connect, with the logs. At least two other people have seen the same bug.

omg, that actually worked for me. i was already thinking about going back to whs 1. i also filed a bug report, but i didnt get any answer yet :P

thanks a lot,

dominic

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:26 AM
  • My stuff is gone to now after doing some updates.  Clients can still access my video folders just fine.  Seems Dashboard is fubar.
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:54 PM
  • I to am experiencing this problem. I'll try reinstalling tonight, and update. I'll see if i can catch when the drives disappear.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:53 AM
  • I ended up reinstalling only the Vail updates, haven't bothered with the security updates and all is working again.  Although the homegroup folders weren't working for a while, but after a couple of restarts they are working again.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 5:02 AM
  • Same issue here........hope this gets figured out soon.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 1:31 PM
  • A little more detail is probably warranted:

I installed windows home server vail without a hitch.  Added all my hard drives to the server storage pool and setup all my users.  Everything was fine for a week.  This server was installed onto a new MB: a Zotac H55-ITX.  At a week I moved by server to a new case which required unplugging the PSU.  When I restarted the server, I got the message that my system time was incorrect and got a BSOD.  I subsequently discovered that my CMOS battery was dead and replaced it.  The weird thing was this was a brand new MB in a sealed box.  But the battery was used.  It was scratched up and looked old...After I installed the new battery, everything was fine except everything in my dashboard was gone.  If I inspected the hard drives through the Explorer interface, everything was fine.  I could access all the data and all my users were still listed in the "users" control panel counsel.  The hard drives were all accessible on my network.  No matter what, I could not get the dashboard back to normal.  I made the post above and when it didn't get a response, I decided that there wasn't really a solution at this point and went back to 2003.  Overall, I really liked vail.  I thought the dashboard was a little too dumbed down and the system was excessively slow.  

Zotac H55-ITX

4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel

i5 650

80GB Toshiba 2.5" Primary HD Sata

4 x 1.5GB Drives - Mostly Seagate

1 x 2.0GB Drive - WD 

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:55 AM
  • same problem with my two vail pc(one real,one VM)

how to re-install?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:09 AM
  • I have developed the same problem.  I shut down the server for a few days and now all user accounts are gone, I can't see any backups and I cannot see any drives.   The system shows a critical error code 80072F8F when trying to update.  Strangely enough when I go to the network on another computer I can see the shared files and even open up videos.  I can do this on the network but I cannot RDT into the server from any computer.
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:35 PM