WHS 2011 and Server Backups RRS feed

• Question

• My Server Backups are failing because the 2GB drive is filled up.  It keeps failing, doesn't clear out old backups, even old failed backups do not get cleared.   I can't seem to delete them myself.

How are you supposed to manage server backups?  I can delete old client backups but I can't delete old server backups.  The Server backups just keep on failing.

What is the correct way to deal with server backups??  I am missing this, I can't believe the intent was for a regular whs user to rotate disks, are is that the case.

I have WHS 2011 running on hp desktop with 1 500GB drive and 3 2GB drives

C: -> part of 500GB drive – Operating System and Local Folders

D: -> 2TB drive – All Client backups

E: -> 2TB drive – Videos and TV

F: -> part of 500GB drive –Music and Documents

L: -> 2TB drive -  Server Backups Defined

Note that the client backups already saved us, had to restore a document for a school project, and able to do that quickly and easily!  yeh!   

Todd

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:37 AM

Answers

• There is no way of manually managing Server backups. The way it should work is that when full, WHS automatically removes old backups to make space for new ones. My systems run along with almost no space at all, deleting old and creating new backups  and then it does a full server backup (rather than incremental) and deletes old incrementals to create lots of new space.

Note that Microsoft's recommendation for the backup disk is:

"Choose a drive that contains sufficient space to store your data. Your storage drives should contain at least 1.5 times the storage capacity of the data that you want to back up. The drives should also be large enough to accommodate the future growth of your server data." You are of course limited to 2TB.

I am not sure how your Server backup disk has got a drive letter - normally they don't.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, May 7, 2012 6:05 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:16 AM

All replies

• There is no way of manually managing Server backups. The way it should work is that when full, WHS automatically removes old backups to make space for new ones. My systems run along with almost no space at all, deleting old and creating new backups  and then it does a full server backup (rather than incremental) and deletes old incrementals to create lots of new space.

Note that Microsoft's recommendation for the backup disk is:

"Choose a drive that contains sufficient space to store your data. Your storage drives should contain at least 1.5 times the storage capacity of the data that you want to back up. The drives should also be large enough to accommodate the future growth of your server data." You are of course limited to 2TB.

I am not sure how your Server backup disk has got a drive letter - normally they don't.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, May 7, 2012 6:05 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:16 AM
  • FYI that the Server Backup started working on it's own.  I have had 4 successful Server backups since the failure.  

The hard disk is still very full, only 50GBs free of 2GB drive, but the Server Backups are successful now.  I did not change anything.  Also, I see that my Server backups are not on "L:" drive, in fact I can't see where the Server Backups go from the Windows Browser, but I can see a backup to restore from, so I guess it is working.

I can't tell how big each backup.

Thanks Phil for the response

Todd

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:12 AM