HP Home Server not responding RRS feed

• Question

•  

My three week old HP Home Server has apparently stopped working.  Yesterday I noticed that the Home Server icon in the tray on my main computer was greyed out.  I took a quick look at the server and it only had the power light on.  I did a shut down (via pressing the power button on the back) and rebooted the machine.  The lights on the front come on for a few seconds and then go back to only the power light on.  I could hear the hard drives crunching data (like it was booting up) and the network lights are on the NIC plug, just not on the front of the unit.  I have tried another CAT5 cable, tested to ensure it was connecting to my switch (on several different ports), all with no luck....

Are there anyways to troubleshoot this box since there is no monitoring output?  Obviously I cant even ping the machine (static IP is assigned via the router) so I'm pretty much in the dark as to how to get any further.  Only thing I did notice was the hard drive LED would flash red/blue for about 5 seconds but then go out once the hard drives stopped crunching data.

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:46 PM

Answers

• I think your first course of action is to contact HP support. If you cannot ping your server you are pretty limited with what you can do.

Andrew

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:00 PM

All replies

• I think your first course of action is to contact HP support. If you cannot ping your server you are pretty limited with what you can do.

Andrew

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Red blue five times is a boot problem.. I had my server do the same and all the Hard disk LED came on solid red.

Turns out this is a bios/Cmos error. I had to take the motherboard out , take the battery out for a few minutes, put it back and reinstall the motherboard. when it boots the next time, it comes back OK...

FYI, I had a USB hard disk pluged into the bottom  USB in the back, according to some, this will trigger the server to try to boot from it and corrupt the bios ... I did not try it again to test the theory.

Rich
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:43 AM