WHS won't let me rename new folders. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 
    I have a problem with renaiming folders on my WHS from my Vista Ultimate 64 laptop. Say for example I want to create a sub-folder within Photos, I can create a new folder (called New Folder), no problem, but when I then try and rename the folder to something useful like "Holiday" I get the following error message:

The \\REDDING-SERVER\Photos folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?

This only happens on my HP Vista Ultimate 64 laptop, from my wifes Vaio (Vista Home Premium) we can create and rename folders as normal.

I found a thread here from last year, with posts from several people having exactly the same problem, but no solution - at least that I could understand.

Can some kind soul please offer a solution or work-around for this niggle please?

Many thanks

Linds Redding
    Auckland, New Zealand

Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi there, 
    I have a problem with renaiming folders on my WHS from my Vista Ultimate 64 laptop. Say for example I want to create a sub-folder within Photos, I can create a new folder (called New Folder), no problem, but when I then try and rename the folder to something useful like "Holiday" I get the following error message:

The \\REDDING-SERVER\Photos folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?

This only happens on my HP Vista Ultimate 64 laptop, from my wifes Vaio (Vista Home Premium) we can create and rename folders as normal.

I found a thread here from last year, with posts from several people having exactly the same problem, but no solution - at least that I could understand.

Can some kind soul please offer a solution or work-around for this niggle please?

Many thanks

Linds Redding
    Auckland, New Zealand

Can you actually reach the share when you receive this error?  Can you browse to another share on the server? Can you reach your wife's laptop and try to create and rename a folder on a shared drive with her laptop? Does the same error occur?

Is the server updated to Power Pack 2?
    Does your account have full permissions for the server?

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hi Lara,

to answer your questions in order:

Yes I can reach all my shares, open folders, browse files, even create folders, and move files. I just can't rename them.

Yes I can browse to all shares on the server.

No, when I try to create and rename a folder via Jo's laptop over the network, the same thing happens - although, as I say, I can do it without issue from the Vaio directly. Wierd!

Yes WHS is updated to PP2.

Yes I have full permissions to the shares on the server.  

Thanks for your help.

Linds
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hi Lara,

to answer your questions in order:

Yes I can reach all my shares, open folders, browse files, even create folders, and move files. I just can't rename them.

Yes I can browse to all shares on the server.

No, when I try to create and rename a folder via Jo's laptop over the network, the same thing happens - although, as I say, I can do it without issue from the Vaio directly. Wierd!

Yes WHS is updated to PP2.

Yes I have full permissions to the shares on the server.  

Thanks for your help.

Linds

Temporarily create a new account on the problem laptop.
    Give it administrator rights on the laptop and full access to the shares on the server.
    Access the server shares with the new account.
    Attempt to create and rename folders you've created with the new account.

The fact that you are unable to alter a folder on Jo's laptop indicates that this is a client problem and not a problem with the server. If you can change the folders with a new account, it will indicate that the problem is with the account.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:40 PM
  • OK, created new account as suggested, with admin rights and access to shares, but I still get the same error message when I try to rename a folder..Any other ideas?

Cheers

Linds
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:02 PM
  • OK, created new account as suggested, with admin rights and access to shares, but I still get the same error message when I try to rename a folder..Any other ideas?

Cheers

Linds

I think we need to review your event logs. Please follow the steps in this post and file a bug. We'll review what is happening on the client and work with you via Connect.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:29 AM
  • OK. will do.

Thanks Lara.

Linds
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:58 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue. I'm running whs with two laptops. One with Vista Home Premium has no trouble what so ever to rename new folders in whs. The other laptop with Vista Ultimate isn't allowed to rename new folders on the server. It has administrator rights. Can't do the same on the other laptop as mentioned by LindsR. A new user account with administrator rights had the same issue. Please help...

Victor Barbiers
    Amsterdam
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Never mind... I've found the missing register key, created it and fixed the problem:

"Ontittech Re: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista

here is the solution you have all been looking for.
    Your are correct. It seems to be an issue with the OEM version of Vista
    and how the new Search tool works

ISSUE: Unable to Rename/Move Files/Folders in Network Drive
    Symptoms: the error "The "\\servername\sharedfolder" does not exist.
    The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?"
    comes up if a user copies a file from the Share, edits the file and then
    tries to copy it back. You are however able to successfully save the
    file locally.
    A second issue was not being able to rename folders/files on the Share.
    Again locally is fine just over the network is an issue.
    Cause : Possibly the way the OEM vender packaged the OS.
    Resolution : Create the parameters key in the following location :
    HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/csc/parameters

Then within the parameters key, create a DWORD Value named
    FormatDatabase with a value of 1 (hex) then reboot the machine.

--
    Ontittech
    Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com"
    post found on: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-file-management/671308.htm 

Victor Barbiers
    Amsterdam
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:34 PM