receive 'ocsetup file/directoy corrupted' while updating windows onecare RRS feed

• Question

• Onecare update states ... ocsetup encountered a corrupted file or directory ... run chkdsk

i've been through all the support suggested steps and nothing they offered ever helped so i started to diagnose on my own. i traced it back to a corrupt folder which was created by onecare during installation ...

{882C09F9-FE0A-4881-812E-F7B2366FE3D8}

located in 'dl' which is a subdirectory of the  'microsoft windows onecare' installation directory.

i cant delete the directory because it isnt empty, i cant get into the directory to empty it because the directory is

'not accessible - file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'.

so, is my corrupted file/directory a problem for onecare support or do i need OS assistance?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Since it is a OneCare setup problem, contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Have you tried deleting the folder in Safe Mode?

-steve

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:44 AM
  • thanks for your safe mode suggestion i was really hoping that was gonna do it... :-(  but sorry to say ... same problem.

i'll try the link.

thanks anyway.

Monday, February 11, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I'm having this same issue ... trying to deinstall OneCare in order to reinstall.  OneCare was reporting an expired subscription.  Now I can't seem to delete the \PF\MWOneCare\Logs directory because it is corrupt and unreadable.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:20 AM
  •  bsnookie wrote:
    I'm having this same issue ... trying to deinstall OneCare in order to reinstall.  OneCare was reporting an expired subscription.  Now I can't seem to delete the \PF\MWOneCare\Logs directory because it is corrupt and unreadable.

Have you tried the Cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2?

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:03 AM
  • thanks everybody. but no luck with the cleanup tools - ive tried all the tools on the onecare help website ... no go :-(

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Sorry that this didn't help. Support is the way to go, then.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Have you guys tried running the CHKDSK as the error suggests?

This sounds like it might be more related to bad sectors on the hard drive, which are coincidentally causing this issue in OneCare.

If you right click on your Hard Drive in My Computer, you can choose Properties.  On the TOOLS tab you can start a Scan Disk, which will check and try to repair errors.

The more "thorough" tool is running CHKDSK from a command prompt, which you will probably want to get help from support to do. 

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:11 PM