none
Crystal Reports 2008 - Register dll won't work on windows 7 64-bit

Question

• Hi,

I want to use Crystal Reports 2008 in Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7. I already did this and it works fine on Windows XP.

BUT trying to do it on Windows 7 64-bit, doensn't work.

I have Crystal Reports 2008 installed. On my XP I jsut added craxddrt.dll to system32, registered it and it works fine.

Registering on windows 7 doesn't work

I tried this:

cd \windows\syswow64

regsvr32 craxddrt.dll -> doens't work

regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\craxddrt.dll -> doens't work

I get this error:

'The module "craxddrt.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary i stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with binary or dependend .dll files.

the specified module could not be found.'

I registered the dependent dll files (msvcrt, comctl32, msvcirt, comdlg32, msvcp60, mfc42)

I don't know what to do anymore :(

If anyone could help me, please reply!

Thanks!

• Moved by Paul Zhou Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:47 AM (From:64-Bit .NET Framework Development.)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Luna,

A few things to consider:

Is your app a 64 bit application? (Built with 'Any CPU' or 'x64')? If so, you will need to register a 64 bit version of the craxddrt.dll.

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Hi, thnaks for the quick reply! 

It's not a 64-bit. Target CPU is 'x86'. 

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Can you copy paste the exact error message when you try to register the dll?

I mean, what you have quoted above - '...Make sure the binary i stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with binary or dependend .dll files.

the specified module could not be found' is not the exact error message, right?
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Yes it is. That is the exact error message..
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I don't believe you should be fiddling around with individual Crstal Reports Dlls to get your app to work. There are established ways to get that support for your apps, such as the Crstal Reports redistributables, for example:

http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/runtime.asp

Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Zhou Monday, August 15, 2011 8:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Luna_0609 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:39 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Thanks, I will take a look at it!

If it helps me, I'll mark it as answer

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Thanks PhilWilson, but I don't think that's what I need..

I don't want to change the way we work. I just want to fix the problem - registering the dll.

On my XP-pc I add a reference to COM - Crystal Reports ActiveX Designer Design And Runtime Library 12.0 (which points to C:\windows\system32\craxddrt.dll )

BUT on my windows7-pc, I can't see this COM.

That's why I'm trying to register the dll, because that way I did it on XP-pc is 1) registering the dll, 2) add reference

On XP, when I go to project > properties > references; I see the reference is set to /obj/x86/release/interop.craxddrt.dll

So, on windows7, I copy/pasted that dll to the same folder (/obj/x86/release), and added reference to that dll. This works, but when I look in the References-tab on the added reference, the type on XP is 'COM', but on windows 7 it is '.NET'

Running the project works, but when doing objCRAppl = New CRAXDDRT.Application gives the following error:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {10DA08B8-6A75-4091-9464-0A66F939FE28} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

So basiclly, my problem is that I don't see the reference in the 'Add reference' dialog box.

Many thanks for your help

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

I think it is related to the version of Crystal Reports that you installed in Windows 7.

If it is supported for X86 process, you can get the COM in a X86 project. (And I think it is not necessary to register it. This is because when installing the tool, the COM would be registered. )

I think you need to check whether the Crystal Report you installed is supported in WOW64 process on 64-bit Windows 7.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! I will take a look at it and post my 'conclusion'
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:45 AM
  • I'm searching the internet but can't find the right information I guess.

Can you help me by saying how I can see if my Crystal Reports is supported in wow64 process?

thanks in advance

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Please.. anyone?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:55 AM
  • You can post thread to  Crystal Reports for Visual Studio to get answers.

Thank you for your posting and support.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Thanks, I'll place in crystal reports  and give the link here
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:03 AM