No matter what, I cannot install my newly purchased Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been tearing my hair out for TWO hours, trying to figure out WHY I cannot activate my newly purchased Microsoft Office 2007 on my six month old desktop computer (VISTA). 

Apparently, the computer came with some kind of preinstalled trial version of Microsoft Office 2003, which I never put a code into because I never used it.  I don't even know where the original activation code would be.  That shouldn't matter because I bought the new version outright!

When I tried to install my NEWLY PURCHASED version on my VISTA system, no matter what I do, the computer keeps telling me that the activation code is invalid!

I have been searching all over this Microsoft site, and I am very upset about this, as I had work to do tonight.  I read on several sites that this is a KNOWN ISSUE, so what the HECK is the problem?

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:54 AM

Answers

• Okay, I have to admit, the instructions were not entirely wrong.  They were just severely insufficient.  It turns out that the Student version will install over the trial version if it's installed three times.  Here's what happened:

1st install -- said it was successful but didn't even ask for the product key; trial version still came up

2nd install -- asked for a product key; I signed up for automatic updates when online; it said the Student version installed successfully; trial version still came up

3rd install -- said it was successful; gave this message: "close and restart open Microsoft..."  After reading this twice, I realized it meant: "Close wizard and restart your computer. Open Microsoft Office."  Not just: "Close wizard and restart/open Microsoft Office."  But even that was not complete.

After restarting the computer, the Student version is available from the Programs menu.  The Programs menu even offers an option to reinstall the trial version.  If the user tries to use the desktop icon to start Office, though, it will still ask for the activation code for the trial version.  So, I need to clean up the desktop icons.  It would be nice if that step was also part of the "automatic" install via the wizard.

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• WillaMuse,

Did you uninstall the trial?

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Hello WilaMuse,

I recommend going to the Office 2007 Solution Center at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/8753 If it is, in fact, a known issue, then the fix would be there. If the solution Center does not resolve your issue, click the "Contact a Support Professional by Email, Online, or Phone." link (upper right habd corner of the Solution Center site). Install issues are usually supported at no cost.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Before I even tried to install the student version, I called the customer service number and asked if I needed to uninstall the never-activated trial version before starting the install of the student version.  I was told, "No.  The student version will install right over the top of the trial version."  Guess what?  Those instructions were wrong.

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Okay, I have to admit, the instructions were not entirely wrong.  They were just severely insufficient.  It turns out that the Student version will install over the trial version if it's installed three times.  Here's what happened:

1st install -- said it was successful but didn't even ask for the product key; trial version still came up

2nd install -- asked for a product key; I signed up for automatic updates when online; it said the Student version installed successfully; trial version still came up

3rd install -- said it was successful; gave this message: "close and restart open Microsoft..."  After reading this twice, I realized it meant: "Close wizard and restart your computer. Open Microsoft Office."  Not just: "Close wizard and restart/open Microsoft Office."  But even that was not complete.

After restarting the computer, the Student version is available from the Programs menu.  The Programs menu even offers an option to reinstall the trial version.  If the user tries to use the desktop icon to start Office, though, it will still ask for the activation code for the trial version.  So, I need to clean up the desktop icons.  It would be nice if that step was also part of the "automatic" install via the wizard.

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:47 PM