Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I want to know do we have a forum for Windows 8? I have some questions regarding how to use and also how to develop software.

Thank you so much

Nothing is Impossible
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:08 AM

Answers

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsapps

Besides the general OS question forum, all other forums are for questions about developing software.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Saman Saadat Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• I second this.
    foxjazz
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:00 PM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsapps

Besides the general OS question forum, all other forums are for questions about developing software.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Saman Saadat Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Do you know if bug reports are accepted on that forum because I think that I have found at least three within Narrator. Here is a description of each one.

Bug #1: Keystrokes are not always echoed (especially when Narrator does not have focus). Along the same idea, the Control key seems to be echoed only after another modifier (Alt, Shift, or Windows) is pressed.

Bug #2: It seems that the F20-F24 keys are echoed as "unknown key." This does not happen with Windows Vista or Windows 7 and it seems odd that they would be echoed as known keys (namely F20, F21, F22, F23, and F24) and suddenly be echoed as unknown keys.

Bug #3: Number echoing seems to stop at trillion then repeat. For example, 2 ^ 64 (18,446,744,073,709,551,616) is read as eighteen trillion four hundred forty-six billion seven hundred forty-four million seventy-three thousand seven hundred nine (Then there is a brief pause.) five hundred fifty-one thousand six hundred sixteen. Like the unknown key bug, this seems odd since echoing went to quadrillion prior to the Windows 8 developer preview.

A couple of asides that are unrelated to the bugs, but something that I noticed and am curious about. How did Hazel decide to start using what I call block pronunciation (i.e. [in Hazel's case], 2020 being read as "twenty-twenty" rather than "two thousand twenty") after x,019. Also, the Wikipedia article on names for the number zero in English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_the_number_0_in_English) is incorrect (although absolutes such as always rarely generate true statements anyway). 007 (what I now call double-nought-seven) is not always echoed as "double-oh-seven." I don't think that I have heard Narrator read it that way once and I now do not use it because zero is not O and likewise, O is not zero. They are two different characters.

• Edited by Weird, Odd, Wodd Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:28 AM Minor word choice adjustment
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Feel free to discuss in forums. Right now the bug database is not public and you need to get invitation to join the program. If you are a MSDN subscriber, check here.

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:39 AM
  • If you are interested in trying Windows 8 without formatting your existing Windows 7 computer, you'll find this guide useful for Dual Booting from VHD.

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/dual-boot-windows-8-from-vhd-using-windows-setup/

It should make it pretty easy for you to get started with testing the waters of W8 application development.

MrShannon | Concurrency Blogs | UAG SP1 DirectAccess Configuration Guide
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:05 PM