whs RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking for some help in getting some help or direction,  how to make whs work with vista home premuim.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:26 PM software/usage question (From:Windows Home Server Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Home Server works with Vista Home Premium. What you may be reading is that remote desktop to Vista Home Premium is not supported.

Have you installed the connector software on your Vista machine from the home server?  Perhaps if you explain what you wish to do we can say if Windows Home Server is for you or not.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:21 PM
  • As Al has said, Remote Desktop to Vista Home Premium isn't supported. This is not something that the Windows Home Server team has any influence over; the Vista (and XP and Windows 7) teams use Remote Desktop access to the PC as a differentiator between their home and business versions of Windows.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

• Have you already got a Windows Home Server?  It's quite straightforward really, you install the connector software on your PC from the server (http://server:55000) and then you can set it up to backup your machine.  You can map your shared folders to drives if you like and use your server to store all your important files.

You can store all your media such as video and photos on the server and have them protected with Folder Duplication that can only be found on Windows Home Server.  Windows Home Server comes with a media server so you can stream music and video to devices such as an Xbox, PS3 or other DNLA/uPNP compatible device.

If you want to read more about Windows Home Server then check out the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

If you have more specific questions then feel free to ask here.

All the best,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:32 AM
  • ok thanks but I keep reading that WHS wont work with vist home p. I think this is strange because it is called a home server. so i have been running the server for a while but it tells me that my vista home p is not supported is this ture ,  and if not how do i connect them
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Home Server works with Vista Home Premium. What you may be reading is that remote desktop to Vista Home Premium is not supported.

Have you installed the connector software on your Vista machine from the home server?  Perhaps if you explain what you wish to do we can say if Windows Home Server is for you or not.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:21 PM
  • As Al has said, Remote Desktop to Vista Home Premium isn't supported. This is not something that the Windows Home Server team has any influence over; the Vista (and XP and Windows 7) teams use Remote Desktop access to the PC as a differentiator between their home and business versions of Windows.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Your right that is indeed what it says.  It backs up all of vista does all but the remote connection..  And if it is a home server why wont remote work as well?
    I want to use this feature when iam out of town ...I want to be able to view my desktop.  A thats what i thought it would do? Do you have any ideals?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:52 PM
  • As I said previously, an incoming Remote Desktop connection to your Vista Home Premium computer doesn't work because the Vista team doesn't want it to work. And even if you should find a hack to apply to allow it to work in general (some have been published elsewhere), Windows Home Server "knows" that Vista Home Premium won't permit Remote Desktop connections, and so it will still say it's not supported.

The restriction on which operating systems will support remote desktop connections is stated on all the marketing literature I've seen for Windows Home Server and OEM servers, the Windows Home Server web site, etc., so it's not exactly a secret.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Thanks all for your help,  Isee it works w/ vista as far as back-ups,  and the rest is above. i know now it just doesnt support remote connections.. got it ......

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:16 AM