none
Windows 7 64 bit restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have read all of the posts on 64 bit drivers, and have tried to get 32 bit drivers onto the flash drive as recommented, but I can't get the restore to recognize what I believe to be the correct 32 bit drivers.  When I download the driver files, it expands into what looks like both 32 and 64 bit drivers.  I tried deletling the 64 bit looking files out of the flash drive, but then WHS restore tells me that it can't find drivers.  If I leave them in the directory, it finds the drivers, but I still get a message that it can't find my server.

My NIC is realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0).

WHS is so easy on my other machines - This brandnew laptop may go back to BB today.

Thanks in advance for any insite.

Rich
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• How to update Realtek NIC drivers during bare metal restore
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, November 13, 2009 3:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rwr1053 Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:13 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Ken - I follow those instructions but still get 'Server Not Found' message.  But - I'm not sure I loaded up the flash drive correctly.

When I download and un-zip from Realtek I get 7 files.

netrtle (security Catalog)
    Nettrle (setup Information)
    Rtenic.sys
    Rtenic64.sys
    Rtenicxp.sys
    RtNicprop32.DLL
    RtNicprop64.DLL

Questions: 

#1.  Do I put them ALL on the flash drive ?
    #2.  Where do I put them on the flash drive ?
    #3.  As part of the restore process, I copy 'Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore' from WHS and place it on the flash drive.  Do I replace some of the files in that folder with the above downloaded files, or in addition to ?

Thanks,

Rich

Friday, November 13, 2009 10:43 PM
  • You should follow the directions in the post: unzip directly to the flash drive (which that FAQ tells you to do), and don't put the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder on the flash drive (which the FAQ does not tell you to do). It would not surprise me if the Restore CD looks first for that folder, and stops if it finds it.

If you need storage drivers as well, put the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder on another flash drive.

Monday, November 16, 2009 5:48 PM

• I followed the instructions exacly as written.  Nothing on the Flash drive except the drivers.  I get 'Drivers Not found' message.  I tried the instructions with the Win7 drivers (just to see if it could find the drivers on the flash drive) it finds the drivers, but can't find the server. 
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Laptops have always been more difficult than other machines, if it comes to a restore. Especially it is not alway guaranteed, that the normal network card drivers are working for a laptop, since such stuff also depends from the Bios and other maker specific stuff.
    You can try to get the Vista 32 Bit drivers for your laptop from the makers site or recovery CD, extract them and put those on the stick.
    Also check, that your DHCP server does not deliver stuff like an external DNS server or a DNS Suffix/Search Suffix, which points to the Internet.

If all does not work, you can still remove the disk from the laptop and use a SATA/USB converter cable to connect the disk to another client. Here follow the procedure outlined in How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,

I printed off the instructions you pointed me to and have them in my archive if I should ever need them.

I tried the drivers you suggested, but the result is the same.  I can only load 64 bit drivers.  For some reason this laptop rejects any and all 32 bit drivers I have tried.  My attempts have all resulted in 'Drivers not found' during the restore.  It can find 64 bit drivers on my flash drive no problem - but we all know that leads to nowhere.

I spent 1.5 hours on the tech support line with HP, and was not able to even get them to understand what the problem is.  Since my WHS (EX485) and Laptop (G60-549) are both from HP I figured I would try and get them to provide a solution, but that didn't work out.

If anyone reading this knows anybody at HP that can understand and is in a position to fix it this please pass it along to them.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Rich
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Hi Rich,
    which is your laptop model?
    It will usually not be possible, to extract drivers wrapped in a setup.exe for 32 bit on a 64 Bit system, since HP has a relatively hard system to check the validity of the package for the machine.
    If you have enough space for a second partition, you could temporary install a 32 Bit OS there and try with that. (Of course this is time consuming and not warranted success.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Laptop is HP G60-549.  I used rar to extract from the setup.exe.  It appeared to work ok.  The 64 bit NIC drivers would load when extracted using that method, but the 32 would not.  At this point I'm thinking possibly some HP proprietary firmware is not going to let me get by with 32 bit drivers.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:17 PM
  • I had the same problem with a realtech NIC and the x-files version of restore disk worked for me.  Download here http://xfiles.koryian.net/X-Files/ClientRestore/1.0/ and burn to cd.  It's worth a try.
    • Marked as answer by rwr1053 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Holy Cow it worked !  I have spent countless hours trying to get this to work and running down leads.

It took it up to the point of recognizing the server and asking me what PC I wanted to restore.  It all looked good.

Thanks Again.

Rich
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:12 PM
  • This link no longer works, at least for me.  Is there a new link or do I have a problem.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Latest X:\Files edition is available here: http://breakinghomeserver.com/
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:31 AM
  • How to update Realtek NIC drivers during bare metal restore

This worked for me (Win7 64Bit) but ONLY when I used the 32Bit drivers for Vista!

The WinXP, 2003 Server and Win 7 drivers didn't active the NIC, i.e. the NIC's activity/status lights didn't light for any of the others.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Likewise.

I tried the mother board manufacturer WinXP, Server 2003 drivers - No luck.

Then the MB WinXP 32-bit drivers - No luck.

Then the Realtek WinXP, Server 2003 drivers - No luck.

Then the MB Vista 32-bit drivers - Happy happy joy joy. NIC drivers loaded and restore in progress.

FYI: System being restored has Win7 64-bit OS.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 1:53 AM
  • ... just giving back.  Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.  I purchased a Gateway FX6831-03 tower ... LOVE IT ... but purchased the wrong hard drives.  They are way to slow for Windows Media Center.  In any event, I wanted to test my ability to restore from my HP Home Server and the WHS Restore CD wouldn't recognize the NIC ... it's the Intel 82578DC Gigabit Network Controller.  I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the Restore CD was not recognizing the network card.  I copied the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder as directed by the Restore CD from one of my successful backup images, to no avail, because I'm running Win7-64.  The folder housed the correct Win7-64 bit drivers; however the restore CD only leverages 32 bit drivers.  Which 32 bit driver was the mystery, i.e. XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Vista ... the answer is as the previous gentlemen posted, the Vista 32-bit drivers are the drivers that were recognized by the WHS Restore CD and properly loaded.  I took the wizard all the way through finding the WHS and providing the option for me to pick the correct restore image.

You all just saved me a TON of time because I will be replacing the hard drives I originally purchased with new faster ones, and I was going to simply rebuild the server from scratch because I couldn't get the WHS restore process to work.  This task went from possibly taking me 4-8 hrs to a matter of minutes with the WHS restore process.

Thanks everyone!

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:12 AM