Connecting WHS wireless with Airport Extreme RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I wonder if I could connect the WHS machine through an AirPort Extreme Base Station back to my router(wireless).
    The base station I have bought some time ago and it would be nice if it would work because I could place the WHS in another room.
    Any suggestions? Could someone let me know how that would work?
    Thanks
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:23 AM

Answers

• Yes, use the cable for initial backups and restores. For incremental changes, wireless generally provides enough bandwidth for normal usage, assuming you're not doing heavy amounts of moving files.
    • Marked as answer by notechyet Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:45 AM

All replies

• It is one of the design basic requests, that the WHS must use a wired connection.
    Wireless connection of the home server itself is a strictly no go, because WLAN does not provide the necessary bandwidth and network reliability for all the server functionality.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:28 AM
  • hi Olaf
    Thanks for the reply.
    Obviously I have to live with the WHS in my office, to bad. But I assume the the MBP and a MS Laptop and a PC can be wireless to the router, is that right?
    Regards from downunder!
    NT
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:05 AM
  • Hi,
    client PCs can be connected wireless, although the practice shows, that this can lead to problems especially during initial backup and if transfering large amounts of data.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 15, 2008 10:47 AM
  • The main issue you will encounter with wireless connections from client to server is if you need to restore a PC using the Restore CD. The Restore CD is unable to connect to a wireless network that uses any form of wireless security.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 15, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Thank you Olaf and Ken
    So, that tells me that for the initial backup I could use/lay the network cable(temporarily) and from then on wireless. If I have a problem at any stage I can use the cable(network cable), which I got, but do not want to install(permanently) due to to much trouble.
    Does that sound possible?
    Thanks for your patience on this subject!
    NT
    Monday, September 15, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Yes, use the cable for initial backups and restores. For incremental changes, wireless generally provides enough bandwidth for normal usage, assuming you're not doing heavy amounts of moving files.
    • Marked as answer by notechyet Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Hi all
    Thanks a lot for helping. I feel much more confident about it now.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:59 AM