"Reinstallation" option not available - trying to upgrade from evaluation copy RRS feed

• Question

• Just got my software from Newegg and trying to perform a reinstallation and the option is not available. All I have available is "New Installation." Any advice? 
    Monday, February 2, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks Olaf. I found another thread on a different forum that instructed me to unplug all hard drives except the one that WHS is installed on. I only have 2 hard drives in the machine so I unplugged the necessary one and was able to reinstall. Some errors popped up but after shutting down and plugging the hard drive back in it started working properly and all shares and files appear to be in tact.

I have noticed an error upon booting up the WHS that states one or more drivers failed. I checked the Event Viewer and couldn't seem to find any info in there but I have some updates I need to install so maybe that will fix it.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    some recommendations what to check:
    The system drive must be connected (and detected) on the first port of the controller and be set as boot disk in the Bios. (Ensure, that the Bios is up to date.) The disk must be listed as drive 0. All data disks must also be connected and detected at the time of reinstall.
    If the disks are SATA drives, you need to supply proper drivers (via floppy) or should try to set the SATA controller mode to IDE (ATA, PATA) compatible. This allows the built in drivers of Windows Home Server setup to detect the disks.
    Please check also the FAQ about Server Reinstallation and the FAQ about Server Recovery.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Thanks Olaf. I found another thread on a different forum that instructed me to unplug all hard drives except the one that WHS is installed on. I only have 2 hard drives in the machine so I unplugged the necessary one and was able to reinstall. Some errors popped up but after shutting down and plugging the hard drive back in it started working properly and all shares and files appear to be in tact.

I have noticed an error upon booting up the WHS that states one or more drivers failed. I checked the Event Viewer and couldn't seem to find any info in there but I have some updates I need to install so maybe that will fix it.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:48 PM