none
Windows Home Server New Hard Disk does not show up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using WHS (Service Pack 2) for some time now.

I have now tried to add an additional drive (1TB). The drive shows up in Computer Management (Disk Management) as Unallocated but not in the Non Storage Drive Section so I can not add the drive. The disk is also not visible in the storage/registry.

This question may have been posed several times here but I have not found a solution yet. 

Thanks for any help

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:46 PM

All replies

• reboot?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Yes, did that, a couple of times. No change.

• Edited by Zjeff64 Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Looking at the screenshot above, disk 4 is showing as dynamic. Probably why you can't add it.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Aha, I think we are getting closer step by step.  Thanks. I have changed disk 4 --> basic. Rebooted the server but not showing up yet... Any more suggestions?

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:17 AM
  • As was mentioned, dynamic disks aren't supported in server storage. But once a disk has been partitioned, Windows Home Server won't let you add it to server storage either. You will need to remove the disk from your server, remove any partitioning, and reinstall it in your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Thanks Ken.

Just a question about the procedure. If I remove the partition while the disk is still in the server. Then take the HD out, reboot and then put HD back in and reboot. Would this work?

I am not sure whether I have the tools to remove the partition when I take the HD out of the server.

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Before physically removing the disk, try clearing it the old fashioned way -

Open a command prompt with administrator privlidges

Then type:

Diskpart

List Disk    (Verify that the disk you want to erase is still Disk 4)

Select Disk 4

Clean

Exit

You will be back the command prompt.  Be sure you select the correct disk or you will erase everything on the wrong disk.  Then reboot for good mesure - I'd be surprised if WHS doesn't see the now completely blank disk.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:12 AM
  • Before physically removing the disk, try clearing it the old fashioned way -

Open a command prompt with administrator privlidges

Then type:

Diskpart

List Disk    (Verify that the disk you want to erase is still Disk 4)

Select Disk 4

Clean

Exit

You will be back the command prompt.  Be sure you select the correct disk or you will erase everything on the wrong disk.  Then reboot for good mesure - I'd be surprised if WHS doesn't see the now completely blank disk.

Hi E Eskam, I have tried the Diskpart but this is the error message I received. Any idea...?

FYI Virtual Disk Service = enabled and set to manual

• Edited by Zjeff64 Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:46 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hmm.. you didn't disable the VDS service, did you?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870912
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Hmm.. you didn't disable the VDS service, did you?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870912

Nope, as mentioned.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Another try to make sure that VDS is enabled. But no luck.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I wish  could run Diskpart :-(

Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Just do it in Disk Management and then re-boot,

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, July 30, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Phil, I did. The Disk shows up as unallocated but doesn't show up in the non-storage devices. 

Not even after I disconnected and reconnected the drive.

All suggestions are welcome!

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Current situation...

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Gentle kick..
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Unallocated doesn't mean unpartitioned. If the disk were unpartitioned (no partition table at all), it should show in the Disk Management MMC snap-in as "uninitialized", not as "online". It's possible the disk may have been partitioned in a way the Windows Home Server can't understand, something may have damaged the partition table; it's also possible that this is the result of your previous work with the disk (is it still a GPT disk?).

I would remove the disk from your server and connect it to another computer. Then I'd try to clean and repartition it there, run chkdsk /r on the partition you create (to see if there are any errors on the disk), and finally clean it one more time before transferring it back to your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Ken, It is a new disk.

I have followed your suggestions.

Unfortunately now the disk doesn't even show up in Disk Management anymore. (I thought I was sure it was not set as a GPT - I guess I need to check again).

This shows the process I've followed putting the disk in a ICY box.  The OS used to handle the disk was Win 7 Ultimate X64.

• Edited by Zjeff64 Friday, August 3, 2012 9:58 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Hey, the disk appeared again in disk manager. Not sure why. But not yet in non-storage drives. I rebooted a couple of times...

Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:10 PM
  • What about attaching the disk to a normal PC with Windows 7 and go through the diskpart clean process there? (Or if the server hardware supports it, boot from a Windows 7 DVD and perform this from the system repair tools command prompt.)

Double check to select the proper disk, since there is no second chance once the command is issued.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi Olaf,  yes this is exactly what I did.  The disk has turned into Not Initialized and Unallocated when viewing it under Win7 and WHS.  Nevertheless, I can not get it to pop up under Non Storage Disks...
    • Edited by Zjeff64 Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Thats indeed strange.

Do you have an SATA to USB converter? Would be interesting, how the disk acts if connected via USB. Or if you try another SATA port, currently used by a disk.

I have seen such issues only, if the disk had identical identifier to another one already installed, but diskpart clean should have taken care of it.

Olaf

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Olaf, when I put the hard disk into an ICY box, that's basically what I did I think but no success.
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Somehow I'm near the end of my ideas here.

On the PC, on which you run diskpart clean against the drive, is there some boot sector protection enabled in Bios? If so, this could block overwriting of the ID.

Was the disk really new or was it in the storage pool before?

diskpart clean all takes much longer and wipes the entire disk by overwriting all sectors (although this should not play a role in the mentioned context in comparision to the above method without "all" parameter).

A last idea:

Eventually it may help to check in the registry on the server (while the disk is not attached), if there are keys found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks, which are not belonging to one of the existing volumes (matching GUIDs belonging to subkeys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes).

You could then attempt to delete the non matching keys after exporting them. (Only do this, if you fully understand registry editing and potential impact of deleting the wrong key!) Then shutdown and attach the disk again.

Olaf

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Just an update: no progress yet..............
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I know this might be a bit late but might help others with this.

First off did you check your bios and make sure all sata ports are set to sata, i know with my messing with computers those boards that have 6 sata ports really have 4 set as sata and 2 set to raid normally sata port 5 and 6.

Looking at your disk manager pic you had 4 already in there and it looks like your adding a 5th one so i would check there and if they are set to raid then change to sata, some board will let you and some don't so try it and see if that works.

Also your disk manager in the first one low part of the list is showing having 5 disks when it should show as 4 with disk 0 having 2 partitions on it both c and d, so the list should be disk 0 with partition c and d then disk 2,3,4 should all be listed as DATA.

just looking at the pics you uploaded to me does not look right like mine does in this pic

As you can see the top part shows Data drives and one sys but the bottom part shows 4 disks with disk 0 having the 2 partitions. the only way i know to fix this is maybe do a back-up of all you software and stuff you are storing on the server and then remove all drives via the console then shut down and remove all drives but disk 0, or the first disk and do a full clean reinstall and let it boot into windows. I would also make sure you use a big drive for the fresh install like one of the 1tb drive and let windows do the partitions it needs to for the sys drive and Data drive.

Do your updates and put your software on there you need then shut down the server and add the other drives and boot up into windows and check disk manager to make sure windows sees all the disks and then add then in the console.

Once that is done you should have 6 drives listed on the top part of disk manager, 1 being sys and 5 being DATA and on the bottom it should shows as 5 drives 1 with sys (C:) and Data (D:) like mine does.

Hope this helps

Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:45 PM