none
So you're using identicons now RRS feed

Answers

• There's an informative blog post here that talks about some of the reasons for doing this: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000774.html. The short answer is the previous generic avatars littered the ux with drab uninteresting redundancy. It was super easy to at least replace them with something that was a little less redundant.

What do you think about them? I suspect the reviews will be mixed. Personally, I thought they were a little loud at first. Then I realized the cost of doing it (trivial) and over time, it sort of grew on me.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:01 AM
    Answerer
  • I've pinged folks on this. Given that the issue occurs only on FF 2.x and SeaMonkey 1.x, the priority of fixing this could be lower. No ETA on a fix but thanks for reporting.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:34 PM

All replies

• There's an informative blog post here that talks about some of the reasons for doing this: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000774.html. The short answer is the previous generic avatars littered the ux with drab uninteresting redundancy. It was super easy to at least replace them with something that was a little less redundant.

What do you think about them? I suspect the reviews will be mixed. Personally, I thought they were a little loud at first. Then I realized the cost of doing it (trivial) and over time, it sort of grew on me.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:01 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Brent, I'm used to them from Wordpress blogs etc, so it's not a big problem with me, back in the early days it would generate some undesirable symbols but it's ok now.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Of course we could just get rid of avatars altogether...

When a thread is expanded the avatars don't display correctly in my browser (SeaMonkey 1.x, similar to FireFox 2) anyway.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:32 PM
  • This could be an actual bug. I'll ping folks on this.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:54 PM
  • This could be an actual bug. I'll ping folks on this.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead

Don:

Thanks. This didn't happen when V4 first came out, but this bug in FireFox 2/SeaMonkey 1.x appeared after one of the updates.

The symptom is that when the thread is expanded, the avatar extends above the bounding rectangle for each post.

It works OK on FireFox 3/SeaMonkey 2 beta.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:05 PM
  • I've pinged folks on this. Given that the issue occurs only on FF 2.x and SeaMonkey 1.x, the priority of fixing this could be lower. No ETA on a fix but thanks for reporting.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I'd prefer that if we don't have an avatar setup, then we don't get one at all.  While adding random avatars isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing, I personally don't care for them.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:12 PM