MS-HomeServer do not detect the SATA drive but the BIOS does. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I’m trying to add a second HD to my MS-HomeServer, and this is a SATA drive (Segate Baracuda 7200.11.1500GB).

My system is previously installed (and working) with an ATA drive as the boot device.

The motherboard is “ASRock P4VM890” equipped with the VIA® VT8237R Plus Southbridge SATA controller.

After configure the BIOS for “SATAOperationMode = non-RAID” my system recognise the drive at boot-up, but I’m not able to detect it within MSHS in any way (not even in CoputerManagement/DiskManagement).

My questions are.

1: Do I always need to load a specific SATA driver (believe I have reed somewhere that in some cases the BIOS can be configured to “emulate/be compatible with ATA drives”)??

2: Have not seen any driver for MSHS, may I use XP, Vista, Windows7 or Server2003/7 drivers?

Anyone who has the correct link to my driver?

With best regards

Jocke

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:31 AM

All replies

• If your drive is configured to use anything other than "legacy IDE" mode, then you will need drivers for it. The best driver to use in that case will be a 32 bit Windows Server 2003 driver, followed by a Windows XP driver.

However, if you can configure your drive successfully to use IDE mode, you will not need a separate driver.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:56 AM