Microsoft Project Server 2010 - What are my options for performing these items? RRS feed

• Question

• Dale,

We are installing Microsoft Project Server 2010 very shortly.  My boss has asked me to research several items.  Can you please help or direct me to some good options:

1.  Can our MS-Project Standards document be created in, and maintained, in MS Project Server 2010?  Can it be loaded in a database format, or must it be simply loaded as a Word document or PDF file?  What exactly are my options? 

2.  Does this package have default options to establish stakeholders (i.e. anyone involved with a project) but needing no access.

3.  What are my options for setting up roles and responsibilities for users?

Can you tell I am quite new at this career?  these questions came from my boss by way of my pen, so I hope they do make, at least, some sense!

Thank you so much.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi

Document Management in Project Server is supported by Sharepoint, when you say standard document are you talking of generic document like different templates or Project Specific documents, in case if it is common template you can place it in shared document library else if its project specific it could be loaded within project workspaces which has document libraries,

now why your boss asked for a DB format is something he might be able to answer but if its search that what it meant then its pretty much available you just need to configure it

Hope this helps 

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:03 PM

All replies

• NewPM:

Your questions are rather broad and should be qualified in light of your exact requirements. Keeping that in mind, here are your answers:

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Nearly limitless

As per above, these all need discussion to determine how to align the capabilities to your particular needs.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thank you, Gary. 

Today I am studying permissions, groups and categories and hopefully, you can answer some additional questions from me over the next few months.

Under which topic may I research loading our company's standards document to the project server?  Is it Document Library? 

I'm not sure why the boss asked whether it could be loaded in database format.  Do you suppose that is to allow searching the document for topics?

Again, many thanks for your assistance as I research these items.

Friday, March 4, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hi

Document Management in Project Server is supported by Sharepoint, when you say standard document are you talking of generic document like different templates or Project Specific documents, in case if it is common template you can place it in shared document library else if its project specific it could be loaded within project workspaces which has document libraries,

now why your boss asked for a DB format is something he might be able to answer but if its search that what it meant then its pretty much available you just need to configure it

Hope this helps 

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:03 PM