ICE won't run from Windows Live Photogallery RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the 64 bit update.  If I try to start it from WLPG I get the message "Microsoft Image Composite Editor was unable to start properly. To remove this program from the menu, go to Control Panel to uninstall it".

If I start ICE independently I get a User Control box and if click allow I get a very fast Install dialog box and then the program starts and seems to work fine.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hello.  This should still work.  So, I'm not sure what is going on.  We had one other person expereince something similar, and I think that it came down to needing to close, then restart WLPG.  Below, I'm going to paste in the reply from the old forum on this subject.  Hopefully this helps ..

The WLPG plug-in should be removed when uninstalling ICE 1.3.5. If WLPG is still running when you attempt to uninstall ICE, you should see a dialog that says, "The following applications should be closed before continuing the install," with WLPG listed, followed by two options:

• "Automatically close applications and attempt to restart them after setup is complete."
    • "Do not close applications. (A Reboot may be required.)"

Choosing the first option will remove the old plug-in, allowing subsequent ICE installs to work properly. Choosing the second option will uninstall ICE but leave WLPG alone and orphan the ICE WLPG plug-in, causing it to display the "unable to start properly" message -- at least until you restart WLPG or reboot. If I continue down this second path and install version 1.4.3 of ICE (while WLPG is still running) with default installer settings, then I find that the WLPG plug-in works again. However, if I install version 1.4.3 of ICE (while WLPG is still running) in a different directory than the previous installation of ICE, then the orphaned ICE WLPG plug-in will still be unable to find the new installation of ICE. Restarting WLPG (or rebooting the machine) fixes the problem, since the next time WLPG starts, it will detect the new WLPG plug-in which points at the new version of ICE.

So to sum up a long post, there are two things working against you: first, if you don't close WLPG during an uninstall or install of ICE, the plugin can get in a bad state; and second, if you install ICE in a different directory than the previous version of ICE, the orphaned plug-in won't know where to find ICE. Fortunately, the fix should be simple: restart WLPG, or failing that, reboot. If it's still not working, close WLPG, uninstall all versions of ICE (you can have two installed -- one for all users and one for just yourself), and install the latest ICE from http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Thanks Matt.  I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled in every combination I can think of with out WLPG running. No matter what I try I still get "Microsoft Image Composite Editor was unable to start properly. To remove this program from the menu, go to Control Panel to uninstall it" when I try to use it from WLPG.
    WindyCityArt
    Monday, June 20, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Still can't get this to work.  I've even uninstalled WLPG.  I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled in every combination I can think of with out WLPG running. No matter what I try I still get "Microsoft Image Composite Editor was unable to start properly. To remove this program from the menu, go to Control Panel to uninstall it" when I try to use it from WLPG.

If I start it independently I get a quick install box and then the program runs fine.

WindyCityArt
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Still can't get this to work.  I've even uninstalled WLPG.  I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled in every combination I can think of with out WLPG running. No matter what I try I still get "Microsoft Image Composite Editor was unable to start properly. To remove this program from the menu, go to Control Panel to uninstall it" when I try to use it from WLPG.

If I start it independently I get a quick install box and then the program runs fine.

WindyCityArt

I have exactly the sam problem.. It does a fast install if I try to run it independently, and then runs fine. and I get the ""Microsoft Image Composite Editor was unable to start properly. To remove this program from the menu, go to Control Panel to uninstall it"" when I try to run it from photo gallery.

Running Windows Vista 64

I should note though that mine did this from the very first install of ICE not an upgrade, so there was no instaling it in its original or previous directory, its in the only directory its ever been in. 

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:35 PM