WHS Goes Offline After Backup Starts RRS feed

• Question

• This seemed to have started after PP2 was installed.  I have multiple home PCs (XP and Vista) that connect to WHS shares with no problem, but about 60 seconds after a backup starts WHS gets knocked completely off the network.  Read that it could be a Netbios issue but I've disabled that on the server and connecting PCs.  Installed the WHS Toolkit and it says I have different versions of the connector software installed...tells me to uninstall and re-install, which i have done and still have the same problem. The version I see is 6.0.3020.2 for the discovery.exe file on my PC.  The WHSConnector.msi file is dated 4.21.2009..dont see a version on it.

Any help?  Backing up PC's was the biggest reason I purchased WHS.  Thanks,

- Kelly
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Kelly
    you could delete the backup database and start over with fresh backups.
    To do this, perform following steps:
    Login to your server locally or via Remote Desktop.
    Open a command prompt and type following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    Delete all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    Reboot your server or start the services, you stopped before with above commands by reverting and typing net start this time.
    Try, if backups now work again.
    This would eliminate a somehow corrupted backup database as cause.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by krmayo Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:37 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:42 AM
  • "issue of logging in" - I did not read anything about it in your postings.
    Could you explain a bit more?
    What kind of video adapter you have? If it is NVidia too, either uninstall the adapter drivers or try the solution I posted in this thread.
    Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hi Kelly,
    if this happens on each backup, you should check the server.
    Check it's event log (either after installing the WHS Toolkit following the guide belonging to that or after logging in via Remote Desktop or locally, which is the unsupported method) , if there are references to issues with the disk (usually NTFS). Could be, that the backup database is corrupt due to such issues. This might cause in some situations the OS become so busy, that it cannot respond any more to network communications.

Maybe you can try to repair the backup database through the console.
    Does this also happen if you copy large files to your server?

Other potential reasons:
    Did you change network hardware or cables in the past?
    Do your server or the clients have multiple network adapters and start responding on the wrong interface due to wrong preference settings?

Btw. instead of disabling NetBIOS the contradictionary is recommended practice for functioning name resolution in a home network.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by krmayo Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:38 PM
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Olaf,

Yes, I originally ran an old Dell as the server (ata drives) and quickly ran out of space/drives became extinct.  I built another server now using sata drives. Copied everything over, took the old Dell down and activated the new server.  Had basically the same issues so I did a re-install which resolved some issues (shared drives are available now), but the backups started failing after the new server downloaded existing Microsoft patches and I rebooted the server.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software and let the new WHS update the connector software automatically.

Also, I failed to mention that I cannot log in using the connector software, assuming it is because of the toolkit response that the versions were different.  I can connect via web, but have never been able to remotely connect to a home computer...probably unrelated.  Did notice the option didnt appear when using Firefox, but did appear when using IE.

I do not have any issues copying 400MB files to the server...never have.

I am taking your suggestions about the NetBios and turning it on.  Going to check on the server event logs and will respond again shortly.

Thank you for your time and help,
    - Kelly
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I am seeing many errors which make it difficult to read (under Event Viewer/Application).  This is a frequent error:

Got Error: qsm.2c2eb077-7c6a-4d89-9ddd-873ef0ce75fa.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head:Storage Status Desc:Volume with name Secondary Volume 1 has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST31500341AS.

I see this quite frequently and for different drives...but the weird thing is everything seems to show status of OK.  Of course I only see drives C and D and have only been able to run chkdsk on both partitions of C.  I don't know how to check D ( which includes 2 1.5TB drives and the remaining C partition of a 500GB drive).

What is your advise on that?  Run chkdsk from DOS before the OS loads?

Thanks,
    - Kelly

Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:08 PM
  • How to check all the drives in your server for errors
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Thanks.  Your script worked except for the C: System drive which had to scan on a reboot.  Didnt show any errors.  Still having same problems though.

Olaf, did you have any other suggestions if the drives are ok?  How do I check if the backup database is corrupt?

I have run the Connector Troubleshooter and it states:
    The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home

Then it proceeds to tell me:
    The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software.

On your home computer, delete the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists.

Then install the Connector software from the Software shared folder on your home server, rather than from the CD. (Perhaps you have an old CD.) Connect to \\YourServerName \Software\ Home Server Connector Software, and then run Setup.exe.

The above procedure does not solve the problem.  Why would my Home Server Connector Software not have the correct version on it if the only changes to it were from Microsoft patches?

Thanks again,

- Kelly
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Thanks.  Your script worked except for the C: System drive which had to scan on a reboot.  Didnt show any errors.  Still having same problems though.

Olaf, did you have any other suggestions if the drives are ok?  How do I check if the backup database is corrupt?

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software.

On your home computer, delete the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists.

Then install the Connector software from the Software shared folder on your home server, rather than from the CD. (Perhaps you have an old CD.) Connect to \\YourServerName \Software\ Home Server Connector Software, and then run Setup.exe.

The above procedure does not solve the problem.  Why would my Home Server Connector Software not have the correct version on it if the only changes to it were from Microsoft patches?

That is a known issue.  You can ignore that message.

Thanks again,

- Kelly
    What driver are you using for your NIC?  Have you tried replacing the NIC in the server?
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:12 AM
  • What driver are you using for your NIC?  Have you tried replacing the NIC in the server?

The Nic driver has not been tampered with by me.  It is built-in on the NVIDIA MB:

NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    Driver Provider: NVIDIA
    Driver Date: 8/1/2008
    Driver Version: 67.8.9.0
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility

Thanks for the help Kariya21.

- Kelly
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:23 PM

• The Nic driver has not been tampered with by me.  It is built-in on the NVIDIA MB:

- Kelly

Sorry, I should have worded my question differently.  What OS is the NIC driver for (2003, XP, or something else)?  Did you try Olaf's suggestion about deleting the backup database?  How about uninstalling PP2 and see if it functions correctly afterwards? 
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Olaf's idea worked with deleted the DB folder..had to reboot as restarting the services did not work (FYI).  The backup part is resolved, thank you all very much.

However, there is still the issue of logging in via the connector software...Sorry for always having issues...

- Kelly
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:38 AM
  • The issue of logging in I mentioned in my 2nd post.

And as for the backup working, it worked on 2 of my XP pro machines but not my vista ult. machine.  It was downloading other files so possibly that affected the backup, I dont know.  Will try again today.

I am following your advise about the nvidia drivers.  The machine does have an nvidia mb and video card, so hopefully that will work.

Will keep you all posted.

- Kelly
    Monday, June 22, 2009 12:59 PM
  • If a single PC has issues, check it's event log as well. At which time backup fails here? Instantly or after performing already some percent?
    Often chkdsk /r executed for each drive on the client PC will fix also client side issues.
    Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:07 PM
  • It has to do with more than 1 PC, and possibly with vista.

The point at which it fails varies...it will get maybe 15% done, fail, I reboot the server to get it back on the network and try again, it whips up to 15% like it knows its already done, gets to maybe 25% and fails again...and so on.

I did run chkdsk /r on the first partition it backs up and it found no problems.  I checked the even log and found the following:

Level           Date and Time                Source             Event ID    Task Category
    Information  6/22/2009 3:03:21 PM     HomeServer     771           HomeBackup
       Backup of volume D: to HOMESERVER started

then 7 minutes later:
    Error           6/22/2009 3:11:17 PM     HomeServer     773           HomeBackup
       Backup of volume D: to HOMESERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

Should I try reinstalling network drivers on the server?  I did install the nvidia drivers mentioned in one of the previous replies... made no difference.

- Kelly
    • Edited by krmayo Monday, June 22, 2009 9:57 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:34 PM
  • How big is the amount of data on he functioning clients and how big on the Vista machine?
    I had once a flaky network interface onboard (also NVidia), which worked in the beginning fine. Later it slowed down to in the 10 KByte range with transfering any data to the server. Switching to the Realtek adapter I have on the same board, solved the problem completely.
    So it must not in each case be the fault of the server, also the client can generate network issues.

And it makes no sense to check the first partition, if obviously according to your event log message the problem occurs during backup of volume D:. So this would be the better candidate to check.
    Are there more volumes on the Vista machine? In this case you could also try to exclude D: temporary from backup and see, if the solves the issue of failing backups.

If this is the case, I would recommend to move all data out from drive D: on the client, delete and recreate the partition, play the data back and try backing up the new partition.

Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Thanks again Olaf.

The second vista machine (Home Premium) is making a liar out of me....but before I get into that...

I uninstalled the nvidia video drivers and installed the one recommended above and rebooted.  From there I tried the backups and they failed.

At that point I decided to restore the original drivers, BUT, when I looked, the video cards (had a nvidia 8300 on the mb which I dont use and a nvidia 9400 added) had no drivers installed.  So..., I reinstalled the ones recommended and rebooted again. 

At this point I tried backing up my vista ult and it failed at wich point I posted my last response.  I decided to try logging in remotely and, was very suprised that I was able to log in.  The nvidia mb drivers DID seem to help with that.  At this point I decided to try backing up my wife's vista (Home Prem) and, I worked.

Right now all issues are resolved sans my vista ultimate.

You asked above about the size of the partitions.  I am using the bitlocker drive encryption, so D is the unprotected partition and is about 1.5GB formatted and C is 231GB formatted.  I did have this backing up with the old server with no problem so I do not believe bitlocker is the issue.

The server has a 500GB system drive (20GB partition) and two 1.5TB drives (not in raid) for about 3.2TB formatted...currently 74% free.

This information may give you other ideas, but I am sure out of them.  I have alot of stuff on this laptop and would absolutely depise the thought of formatting and reinstalling just to see if that fixes the problem....that does give me an idea though.  I do have an old 100GB HD I took out of this laptop...I could throw vista on it and try it out....I will wait to see what you think since that would be a hassle.

Thanks again,
    - Kelly
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Hi Kelly,
    at least it looks for now, as if with your server all is fine.
    How many free space is on the Bitlocker volume? If the amount is too low, a backup will fail, because no volume snapshot can be done. But this should not manifest itself as network error.
    As a minor workaround you could leave that volume out of the backup, so that at least the data is saved.

Would be interesting, if a new installation backs up successfully with the same drivers.
    And sure it is an hassle to perform an installation solely for testing, but at least Vista does not take that long. Don't put a serial number in during installation to avoid reactivation.

Olaf
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.

I will go ahead and mark this as answered since we are morphing to other problems.  If I get it figured out I will go ahead and post the answer here.

- Kelly
    • Marked as answer by krmayo Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Kelly,
    if this happens on each backup, you should check the server.
    Check it's event log (either after installing the WHS Toolkit following the guide belonging to that or after logging in via Remote Desktop or locally, which is the unsupported method) , if there are references to issues with the disk (usually NTFS). Could be, that the backup database is corrupt due to such issues. This might cause in some situations the OS become so busy, that it cannot respond any more to network communications.

Maybe you can try to repair the backup database through the console.
    Does this also happen if you copy large files to your server?

Other potential reasons:
    Did you change network hardware or cables in the past?
    Do your server or the clients have multiple network adapters and start responding on the wrong interface due to wrong preference settings?

Btw. instead of disabling NetBIOS the contradictionary is recommended practice for functioning name resolution in a home network.
    Olaf
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Olaf,

Yes, I originally ran an old Dell as the server (ata drives) and quickly ran out of space/drives became extinct.  I built another server now using sata drives. Copied everything over, took the old Dell down and activated the new server.  Had basically the same issues so I did a re-install which resolved some issues (shared drives are available now), but the backups started failing after the new server downloaded existing Microsoft patches and I rebooted the server.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software and let the new WHS update the connector software automatically.

Also, I failed to mention that I cannot log in using the connector software, assuming it is because of the toolkit response that the versions were different.  I can connect via web, but have never been able to remotely connect to a home computer...probably unrelated.  Did notice the option didnt appear when using Firefox, but did appear when using IE.

I do not have any issues copying 400MB files to the server...never have.

I am taking your suggestions about the NetBios and turning it on.  Going to check on the server event logs and will respond again shortly.

Thank you for your time and help,
    - Kelly
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I am seeing many errors which make it difficult to read (under Event Viewer/Application).  This is a frequent error:

Got Error: qsm.2c2eb077-7c6a-4d89-9ddd-873ef0ce75fa.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head:Storage Status Desc:Volume with name Secondary Volume 1 has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST31500341AS.

I see this quite frequently and for different drives...but the weird thing is everything seems to show status of OK.  Of course I only see drives C and D and have only been able to run chkdsk on both partitions of C.  I don't know how to check D ( which includes 2 1.5TB drives and the remaining C partition of a 500GB drive).

What is your advise on that?  Run chkdsk from DOS before the OS loads?

Thanks,
    - Kelly

Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:08 PM
  • How to check all the drives in your server for errors
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:11 PM

Thanks again,

- Kelly
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:13 PM

That is a known issue.  You can ignore that message.

Thanks again,

- Kelly
    What driver are you using for your NIC?  Have you tried replacing the NIC in the server?
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi Kelly
    you could delete the backup database and start over with fresh backups.
    To do this, perform following steps:
    Login to your server locally or via Remote Desktop.
    Open a command prompt and type following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    Delete all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    Reboot your server or start the services, you stopped before with above commands by reverting and typing net start this time.
    Try, if backups now work again.
    This would eliminate a somehow corrupted backup database as cause.
    Olaf
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:42 AM
  • What driver are you using for your NIC?  Have you tried replacing the NIC in the server?

The Nic driver has not been tampered with by me.  It is built-in on the NVIDIA MB:

- Kelly
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:23 PM

• The Nic driver has not been tampered with by me.  It is built-in on the NVIDIA MB:

- Kelly

Sorry, I should have worded my question differently.  What OS is the NIC driver for (2003, XP, or something else)?  Did you try Olaf's suggestion about deleting the backup database?  How about uninstalling PP2 and see if it functions correctly afterwards? 
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Olaf's idea worked with deleted the DB folder..had to reboot as restarting the services did not work (FYI).  The backup part is resolved, thank you all very much.

However, there is still the issue of logging in via the connector software...Sorry for always having issues...

- Kelly
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:38 AM
  • "issue of logging in" - I did not read anything about it in your postings.
    Could you explain a bit more?
    What kind of video adapter you have? If it is NVidia too, either uninstall the adapter drivers or try the solution I posted in this thread.
    Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:24 AM
  • The issue of logging in I mentioned in my 2nd post.

And as for the backup working, it worked on 2 of my XP pro machines but not my vista ult. machine.  It was downloading other files so possibly that affected the backup, I dont know.  Will try again today.

I am following your advise about the nvidia drivers.  The machine does have an nvidia mb and video card, so hopefully that will work.

Will keep you all posted.

- Kelly
    Monday, June 22, 2009 12:59 PM
  • If a single PC has issues, check it's event log as well. At which time backup fails here? Instantly or after performing already some percent?
    Often chkdsk /r executed for each drive on the client PC will fix also client side issues.
    Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:07 PM
  • It has to do with more than 1 PC, and possibly with vista.

The point at which it fails varies...it will get maybe 15% done, fail, I reboot the server to get it back on the network and try again, it whips up to 15% like it knows its already done, gets to maybe 25% and fails again...and so on.

I did run chkdsk /r on the first partition it backs up and it found no problems.  I checked the even log and found the following:

Level           Date and Time                Source             Event ID    Task Category
    Information  6/22/2009 3:03:21 PM     HomeServer     771           HomeBackup
       Backup of volume D: to HOMESERVER started

then 7 minutes later:
    Error           6/22/2009 3:11:17 PM     HomeServer     773           HomeBackup
       Backup of volume D: to HOMESERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

Should I try reinstalling network drivers on the server?  I did install the nvidia drivers mentioned in one of the previous replies... made no difference.

- Kelly
    • Edited by krmayo Monday, June 22, 2009 9:57 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:34 PM
  • How big is the amount of data on he functioning clients and how big on the Vista machine?
    I had once a flaky network interface onboard (also NVidia), which worked in the beginning fine. Later it slowed down to in the 10 KByte range with transfering any data to the server. Switching to the Realtek adapter I have on the same board, solved the problem completely.
    So it must not in each case be the fault of the server, also the client can generate network issues.

And it makes no sense to check the first partition, if obviously according to your event log message the problem occurs during backup of volume D:. So this would be the better candidate to check.
    Are there more volumes on the Vista machine? In this case you could also try to exclude D: temporary from backup and see, if the solves the issue of failing backups.

If this is the case, I would recommend to move all data out from drive D: on the client, delete and recreate the partition, play the data back and try backing up the new partition.

Olaf
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Thanks again Olaf.

The second vista machine (Home Premium) is making a liar out of me....but before I get into that...

I uninstalled the nvidia video drivers and installed the one recommended above and rebooted.  From there I tried the backups and they failed.

At that point I decided to restore the original drivers, BUT, when I looked, the video cards (had a nvidia 8300 on the mb which I dont use and a nvidia 9400 added) had no drivers installed.  So..., I reinstalled the ones recommended and rebooted again. 

At this point I tried backing up my vista ult and it failed at wich point I posted my last response.  I decided to try logging in remotely and, was very suprised that I was able to log in.  The nvidia mb drivers DID seem to help with that.  At this point I decided to try backing up my wife's vista (Home Prem) and, I worked.

Right now all issues are resolved sans my vista ultimate.

You asked above about the size of the partitions.  I am using the bitlocker drive encryption, so D is the unprotected partition and is about 1.5GB formatted and C is 231GB formatted.  I did have this backing up with the old server with no problem so I do not believe bitlocker is the issue.

The server has a 500GB system drive (20GB partition) and two 1.5TB drives (not in raid) for about 3.2TB formatted...currently 74% free.

This information may give you other ideas, but I am sure out of them.  I have alot of stuff on this laptop and would absolutely depise the thought of formatting and reinstalling just to see if that fixes the problem....that does give me an idea though.  I do have an old 100GB HD I took out of this laptop...I could throw vista on it and try it out....I will wait to see what you think since that would be a hassle.

Thanks again,
    - Kelly
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Hi Kelly,
    at least it looks for now, as if with your server all is fine.
    How many free space is on the Bitlocker volume? If the amount is too low, a backup will fail, because no volume snapshot can be done. But this should not manifest itself as network error.
    As a minor workaround you could leave that volume out of the backup, so that at least the data is saved.

Would be interesting, if a new installation backs up successfully with the same drivers.
    And sure it is an hassle to perform an installation solely for testing, but at least Vista does not take that long. Don't put a serial number in during installation to avoid reactivation.

Olaf
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.

I will go ahead and mark this as answered since we are morphing to other problems.  If I get it figured out I will go ahead and post the answer here.

- Kelly
    • Marked as answer by krmayo Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Olaf,

The problem with WHS dropping off the network has occurred again and it was without any client backups...beginning to suspect the WHS NIC or its driver.  Will try locating and re-installing drivers first and give an update.

- Kelly
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Hi Kelly,
    well, onboard cards have a proven experience to work far from perfect in Windows Home Server, especially those, which do not provide Windows Server 2003 drivers. The most recommendable solution would be purchasing a separate network card, which has dedicated Windows Server 2003 drivers.

Could also be, that some of the default mechanics of network optimization on Windows Server 2003 are not compatible with your hardware/drivers. In this case you could try to disable them as described in this blog entry or in KB948496.

Olaf
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem with backups of one of my boxes. I could not do any backup with XP or Win7 (64bit). After trying all the solution hints in this thread (thanks for your great work) I bought a new nic with dedicated drivers for Windows 2003.

-> Now all works like expected and I am happy again with my WHS.

Best wishes

Andreas
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:09 AM