Folder Locations Other Than The Desktop Not Supported RRS feed

• Question

• Live mesh appears to offer the opportunity to specify mesh folders other than the desktop. However, whenever I carefully set up a mesh, with sync rules on everything BUT the desktop, on several devices with folders not on the desktop, sooner or later, live mesh will establish live desktop folders. As this happens somewhat haphazardly, folder synchronization is spotty at best (at least until all devices establish mesh folders on the desktop). This occurs even though I explicitly tell the sync methods to ignore the desktop (thinking this was the way to solve the problem). Thus, specifying mesh folders other than the desktop is really not supported. This conclusion is somewhat supported by the answer to how to verify a folder is synchronized, to wit, "On your device, locate the folder. The folder's color should be blue Live Mesh folder icon - synchronized, and you should also see the folder on your Live Desktop." Please allow non desktop folders to be meshed without the need to establish live desktop. (I am requesting this because I do not store data, even Outlook data, on the OS drive.) Thank you.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:14 PM

Answers

• Live Mesh can sync with folders other than the desktop. The default location for offered Mesh folders when you add a new folder on another device is the desktop of all other PCs in your Mesh. The following explains how to change the location *when you accept the sync folder* on the PC. Note that you cannot change the location from the desktop if you simply click the offered Mesh light blue folder and click OK.

If the folder already exists on the desktop as a sync end point, you must change the sync settings via the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com for that folder to not sync with the PC where you plan to change the location and then delete or move the folder on the PC desktop *after it changes to a normal yellow Windows Explorer folder.*

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:13 PM

All replies

• Live Mesh can sync with folders other than the desktop. The default location for offered Mesh folders when you add a new folder on another device is the desktop of all other PCs in your Mesh. The following explains how to change the location *when you accept the sync folder* on the PC. Note that you cannot change the location from the desktop if you simply click the offered Mesh light blue folder and click OK.

If the folder already exists on the desktop as a sync end point, you must change the sync settings via the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com for that folder to not sync with the PC where you plan to change the location and then delete or move the folder on the PC desktop *after it changes to a normal yellow Windows Explorer folder.*

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:13 PM
  • "The default location for offered Mesh folders when you add a new folder on another device is the desktop of all other PCs in your Mesh." I take this to explain that, even though I carefully established non desktop folders on two devices, then "meshed them" via right mouse click, there suddenly appeared several days (maybe even more) later, live desktop folders on the second device added to the mesh and the removal from the mesh, i.e. return to yellow, of my originally defined mesh folders which did sync successfully until the desktop folders were automatically established. This behavior is quite un-user friendly as I now have my second device having "orphaned" mesh folders since the sync has automatically shifted to the live desktop mesh folder. I say "automatically" because the sync setting on the both devices is Live Desktop, never with this device. I will try the above method to restore to the original sync folders; this also is quite user un-friendly.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:54 AM
  • I agree that it is not intuitive.

What do you mean by "non-desktop" folders? if you mean that you set the folders to sync peer to peer only, you will still see the folders at www.mesh.com for pruposes of management. The Live Desktop (mesh.com) folder is empty when that folder is P2P only in your Mesh, but you can manage the sync settings of the folder on the site.

And what do you mean by "orphaned" Mesh folders? A folder is either a Mesh folder or a regular folder. If it is blue, it is a Mesh folder and is connected to the Mesh. If it is Yellow, it is a normal windows folder and can be moved, deleted, etc. at will. If this folder should be the end point for a sync folder in your Mesh and it is a yellow folder, move it to where you want and then when the new blue shortcut for the Mesh folder is offered to the PC, browse to the folder via the dialog as noted above and accept the merge warning - the end point will now be the folder you selected and the contents will be compared and merged with the contents from the Mesh.

-steve

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:37 PM
  • "Non-desktop" folders are those established on drives other than C (users, etc.). Yes, these folders show up at www.mesh.com; clicking the folder directs you to the right place, i.e. the non-C drive location. "Orphaned" means that "non-desktop" folders that were originally established in the mesh (as indicated by their blue color) automatically became yellow when "desktop" folders were eventually established by the mesh. I have never explicitly created mesh folders anywhere on drive C, yet, they suddenly appeared on the second device that was added to the mesh even though, for a while, all folders on both devices were sync'ing even though none were defined on drive C. In thinking this over, it appears that the first device is still happy with non-desktop, non-C drive folders but, on some syncronization activity, the sync stopped using the "non-desktop" folders and established desktop folders on the second device thus ignoring the originally established folders; hence, "orphaning" them. They lost their blue color and are now yellow and, of course, are not the folders that live mesh's folder managment points to; this is another reason for calling them "orphan"; for a while, they were the folders that live mesh's folder managment knew about. Hope this clarifies.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Actually, it confused me more. :-)

Folders on the System drive (C:\, as you might be referring to) can certainly be added to the Mesh.

There are some folders and files that cannot be added to the Mesh - for example, \Documents and Settings\%User%\Desktop (that is the desktop for a Windows XP user) can never be a Mesh folder.

If a folder was a Blue Mesh folder on your PC in any location and it reverted to a Yellow folder, it broke - losing its relationship to Mesh, plain and simple. That can happen if the folder is moved or if Live Mesh is uninstalled from the PC, or if the device is removed from the Mesh. They would then be orphans, if they were at one time Mesh folders. They are still real folders, though not part of the Mesh when they revert from Blue to yellow in color.

Folders do not suddenly appear anywhere in the Mesh except the Live Desktop when you add a folder to the Mesh and set it to sync with the Live Desktop (that's at www.mesh.com). In all cases, a shortcut, light blue, will appear on the desktop of each PC that you have set to share that folder with. It is not a Mesh folder until you click that folder and either click OK to accept the folder location of the desktop on that PC or click Browse to navigate to an existing location elsewhere on the PC (not a mapped network drive, not a removable drive, only a physically connected internal hard drive) and accept the warning about merging with the existing location. If you choose the latter, the shortcut on the desktop disappears and the new end point on that PC is the folder you selected and it turns blue as a Mesh folder. You can never move a Mesh folder once established as a sync end point. Doing so will break the sync relationship and, while it may remain a blue Mesh folder, it generally will no longer sync and errors will typically ensue.

-steve

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Well, I hope you're not as confused as the mesh is. So I followed instructions and finally got my mesh folders re-established on device 2 and not on the System device. And lo! now device 1, which used to have non-System drive sync capability, orphaned the non-system drive folders and established a happy home on the desktop. I definitely perceive this as a vicious circle: you create non sys drive folders, eventually you will get them on the desktop, you correct that breaking that relationship to the mesh and therefore get desktop folders in return. Sorry, this is way too much for me: I've now had happy blue folders appear on the desktop automagically on two devices originally having none with a resultant disruption in syncing. All I want is:

1 - data folders defined, not on C, the system drive, C:\Users\..., etc. whatever you want to call it, but defined on some drive d,e,f,g, whatever

2 - add them to the Mesh (right click context menu is just fine)

3- sync them to another device whose mesh folders are also not on the C driver, etc. etc. as above but are the sync result and sync source, as appropriate (as also would be 1 depending on where updates were being done)

4 - availability of these from any device legitimately connected via the mesh

5- no automagical creation of folders on the desktop

6 - for the easy usage out there, yes, push the no custom button and use the desktop.

as in...

1 - D:\Live Mesh Folders containing multiple sub-folders (device 1)

2 - J:\Live Mesh Folders

3 - rt mouse click on these selecting Add folder to Live Mesh

4 - Sync up thereafter

5 - a return to yellow, at worst, if sync, mesh whatever gets busted

6 - availability of the most recent data in D (or J) from any device logging in but not requiring either of these devices to be on (nothing new here)

Thanks for your patience.

Friday, May 14, 2010 1:57 AM
  • I'm going to concede that it is possible that you have encountered the problem described in this thread over the past 2 or 3 days - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/595c1b4d-2852-4657-a73f-881c3548810c - where instead of a Mesh shortcut for an offered folder, a Mesh folder, with no capability to configure the end point for sync, is created on the desktop of the PC. Do pay attention to my post with screen captures of how it is supposed to work after you add a folder to the mesh and it is offered to the other PCs, allowing you to define the sync end point.

I am still very confused about your continued mention of "orphaned" folders.

-steve

Friday, May 14, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Well,"orphaned" folders is, perahps, a misnomer but simply a term for those folders established on a non system drive, put in the mesh, have had a least one successful sync and, here is the key point, usually the ones always called up within an application after that app has been "taught" not to use its usual default folder "definition". Thus, when these folders get "mesh broken", i.e. turn yellow, and the new desktop blue folders come into being, the applications still access the now yellow non-meshed folders. Of course, no updates occur as they are out of the mesh, hence, orphaned.

Will begin again using the screen captures; BTW, no data has been lost through all this; it's just that syncing hasn't been what was expected due to the, sorry ;), orphaning of once meshed folders.

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:16 PM