Folder Duplication or not? RRS feed

• Question

•    I have the WHS sofware on a used desktop computer.  I had four small drives that are in a multi-drive bay case and are connected via USB.  I have duplication set for a few folders.  I recently installed WHS Disk Management.  Looking at the management display of the drives, it looks like something is wrong.  I thought duplication means a copy on a different drive if there is failure of one drive.  Well, looking at the management display it shows three drives show 0 usage and one is 1/2 full.  That does not look like any duplication is going on.  What is wrong here?

R.T.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    there are chances, that WHS Disk management add-on does not handle the information properly or you misinterpreted them.
    I assume so, but do the shared folders, for which you have enabled duplication, contain data?
    If you login to the WHS desktop itself, click Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc, how is the data usage of the disks here?
    What about the usage of the D: drive?
    While you are logged in to the WHS desktop, you can also check the contents of DE\shares\yourshares folders on each drive (D: and C:\fs\<volumemountpoints>). (Be aware that you have to toggle Show hidden files and folders in Explorer options to see the DE folder.)
    Duplicated files should exist in at least two of the above folders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    there are chances, that WHS Disk management add-on does not handle the information properly or you misinterpreted them.
    I assume so, but do the shared folders, for which you have enabled duplication, contain data?
    If you login to the WHS desktop itself, click Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc, how is the data usage of the disks here?
    What about the usage of the D: drive?
    While you are logged in to the WHS desktop, you can also check the contents of DE\shares\yourshares folders on each drive (D: and C:\fs\<volumemountpoints>). (Be aware that you have to toggle Show hidden files and folders in Explorer options to see the DE folder.)
    Duplicated files should exist in at least two of the above folders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Olaf,
       Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc and explorer sure do open up interesting information.  I did not notice that the drive in the computer was partitioned C & D.   With that in mind, I see that the files are stored on the D or data partition and are duplicated on one of the four USB drives.  It looks to me that WHS is going to fill up one of the USB drives and move on to another for more storage.  Time will tell about that.
       Not knowing about the files stored on D drive and only seeing useage of one of the USB drives, it made me think duplication was not taking place.  But under C:\fs\   I found E, G, and I.  G has all shares on it and is one of the USB drives.  On partition data(D:) all shares are there with the dup files.
      So, if you now what to look for the answer can be found.
    Thanks,

R.T.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:35 PM
  • R.T._CAT said:

Olaf,
       Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc and explorer sure do open up interesting information.  I did not notice that the drive in the computer was partitioned C & D.   With that in mind, I see that the files are stored on the D or data partition and are duplicated on one of the four USB drives.  It looks to me that WHS is going to fill up one of the USB drives and move on to another for more storage.  Time will tell about that.
       Not knowing about the files stored on D drive and only seeing useage of one of the USB drives, it made me think duplication was not taking place.  But under C:\fs\   I found E, G, and I.  G has all shares on it and is one of the USB drives.  On partition data(D:) all shares are there with the dup files.
      So, if you now what to look for the answer can be found.
    Thanks,

R.T.

If you are looking in D:\shares, those are not the duplicate files.  Those are tombstones.  You need to look in D:\DE\shares.  If they are not there (and not in the E and I mount points), then your files are not duplicated.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:59 AM